Existing Member?

the make or break tour

The first month in Chile...

CHILE | Monday, 10 November 2008 | Views [1112] | Comments [3]

they love their flags

they love their flags

Our first month is pretty much done...we have survived.

The first 2 weeks in Santiago were bloody exhausting. We signed up for spanish school, which left our brains in a state that closely resembled over cooked pasta. Met a great crew of people from all over.

Overwhelmed with the lack of dignity many young lovers have here, dry humping is definitely the most popular of sports.

2nd night into our trip - Chile beat Argentina in football for the first time in 76 years in Santiago. The Chileans lost their shit.. the streets filled with thousands of crazy football fans, honking horns, screaming, dancing...and so we joined in. We made a quick pit stop at a diner and all of a sudden we were locked in with other customers. The doors were shut. Then water began to gush under the doorway. By the time we had eaten and were let out side the streets were deserted and really wet. And all that was left were police in tanks with water canons. It was crazy stuff. So we walked home. But then Derek notices one of the armoured trucks releases what we thought was water...it was tear gas. And in turn, we were tear gassed. Crazy onion thick air filled our lungs and stung the hell out of our eyes.

Climbed Pochoko (or Pokocho still under debate with locals) with Anders and his ambassador crew...it´s about 30 minutes from Santiago. Mountain nearly killed us, ran out of water but the views were second to none..unless you climbed the bigger mountain next to it.We couldn´t be bothered. Saw a fuck off big condor.

We stayed most of our time in a share house that was meant to be a home stay. Met some interesting people again. Pretty nice house and neighbourhood, but the god damned dogs wouldn´t shut the fuck up. Derek had evil intentions for a few of them.

After 2 weeks we headed to the coast to Valaparaiso. Hung out here for about a week. Taking the local bus up to one of the surfing breaks - Reñaca. Stayed in a crazy party hostel called Yoyo´s. Much to Derek´s delight, he got felt up by Gorge, the resident gay..the only gay in the village.

Just been taking it easy, meeting shitloads of people from all over the world, hanging out with alot of people from different walks of life.

Trying not to eat too much, or at all we have to cut costs somewhere. Derek pines for peanut butter...and his girlfriend.

Now crossed the border over to Argentina, steak and wine central. you beauty!!

Comments

1

hey guys, I'm happyto see that your trip seems pre3tty awsome so far, I bet you couldn't wait to go traveling again, it's just so much fun...
I left Australia yesterday, for good(stupid visa ran out), and I'm now in bangkok. I stay in thailand for about twoweeks, then on my way home. a bit sad and exciting in the same time.
anyway, itshould be goodfun here,in this crasy city.
you guys enjoy yourtrip around america, and hopefully one day we can catch up around a beer ortwo to talk about our travels.
take iteasy
francois

  francois Nov 10, 2008 6:27 PM

2

finally got onto your blog. Grand to read 'bout adventures. Remember plenty of picks of the personalities, Carla behave.
Love you both

  ayriss Nov 22, 2008 11:18 AM

3

Hey Guys,

Hell yeah! Santiago and the party we had there were great! I will follow your website from now on. Got a lot of gatching up to do! Yes...my English sucks so now and then but..still learning.

Have a great awesome and spending time!

Greetz Michiel and Kim

  Michiel and Kim Jan 24, 2009 11:43 PM

About derekandcarla

we rode horses through the lovely green hills of pucon to a waterfall

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.