Existing Member?

NoyPinoy

Dili Haat

INDIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [194] | Scholarship Entry

That night I was in Dili Haat in Delhi.

Cloths, bangles, earrings, wood products are lined up at every stalls. There are even food stalls which sells Indian food products and tea specialty stores. i can even smell the masala chai brew in a short distance from those tea stalls. Time is running out I have to buy some souvenirs from my family back in the Philippines until I came upon a small stall that displays beautiful puzzle boxes, knifes and daggers. The stall owner approached me as I touched a small knife with a detailed carving on the handle.

"Where do you come from?", he said
"I am from the Philippines...", I answered
"Do you want that knife?", he said
"How much is this?", I asked
"300 rupees"

I have 500 rupees in my pocket that time and I want to bargain.

"I don't have enough rupees with me...", I said
"hmmn, how much can you give for this knife?", he said
" I only have 150 rupees", I replied

He smiled and keep silent for awhile, "Okay, since I can feel that you are a good person, I will give you a special offer. I will give this to you for 150 rupees." Then he handed me the dagger. He continued, "Would you give me something from you for an exchange?"

I suddenly noticed the native Philippine bracelets I am wearing and see one that would look good on his wrist.

"Here, this will look good on you", I said as I wear the black and red weaved bracelet to his right wrist.
"What does this mean or purpose?", he asked
"This will give you good luck", I said
"Thank you for this, by the way, my name is Rizwan", he offer his hands and I hold it for a handshake.
"My name is Denzel..."

We look at each others eye for a moment and at that time...the time seems to stop as I felt the warmth in his hands. I can feel magic as if we are brothers in an instant.
I suddenly felt quite guilty for lying.

"Mr. Rizwan, sorry I lied to you here is an extra 150rupees for the knife"...
"No no no, you keep it, that is my gift to you, what I want is to keep in touch with you. I live in Kashmir, it is a beautiful land you should visit me there sometimes"
"I will" I said and he handed me his calling card
"Please, be in touch my friend we will meet each other soon", Rizwan said, "And don't forget to add me on FaceBook."
"That is for sure, thank you very much" as I smiled to him as I walked back to the bus he still looks at me, smiling and waving as we bid each other a temporary farewell.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About denzel01


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.