Existing Member?

THE Trip - Finally

A piece of my heart in Ireland

IRELAND | Friday, 23 April 2010 | Views [429] | Comments [1]

The camaraderie of crisis was very real in Dublin when I discovered that my three day stay would soon become ten days. Of course, I was not the only one and in shared misfortune, bonds are formed.

As usual, I stumble upon some friendly Canadians at the hostel who soon become my posse. We spend a fun filled day searching for the Canadian Embassy only to find that the Canadian Embassy only opens in the mornings. Nevermind – a fun day was had.

Meanwhile, life in the hostel was great. We were able to witness first hand the different ways people deal with adversity; hysteria, pleading, crying, frustration, resignation and, my personal favourite, the ‘let’s-make-the-best-of-it’ attitude. It was with the latter that my Canadians and I seized the day. Or days as it turned out. With fondest memories I will recall days spent getting lost in temple Bar and nights of cider and Epic Snap.

A couple of days before I left, sadly not earlier, I met an Irish guy staying at the hostel while he had business in town. He offered to take us on a guided tour of Greystone and Holth. So on our second last day in town, three Canadians and an Aussie led by an Irishman went off for a day of hiking, laughs and breathtaking scenery.

Our guide turned out to be one of the most interesting, fun and mischievous characters I’ve met on my trip so far and I have to admit that there will always be a little part of my heart with him in Ireland. Another part will remain with my favourite Canadian travel buddy so far in her home town of St John. I can’t imagine how I would have managed to have such a memorable (if somewhat enforced) stay in Dublin without these two magnificent creatures.

IRELAND – no better place to be stranded!  

Comments

1

Fantastic to hear you...stranded on your feet! Hope all's going good!

  john Apr 29, 2010 11:48 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.