Existing Member?

THE Trip - Finally

Turn up the heat ... please!

CANADA | Monday, 1 February 2010 | Views [297]

So ... Canada is cold. I know that everyone knows that but really, it's freakin' cold!

The trip from New York was ... interesting. After waiting for our shuttle for like half an hour at 2:30am we realised that they probably weren't coming. Fortunately this was New York so getting a cab at 3 in the morning was not a problem. As it turns out the cab was cheaper than the shuttle anyway!

The flight to Canada was great. There were four passengers - exactly the same number of people who were working on the flight! We could sit wherever we wanted and, despite the fact that I hadn't slept the night before, I opted to watch a movie instead of sleep. The flight was so short however that I didn't see the end so if you've seen 'The Invention of Lying' don't tell me how it ends. I liked it and want to find out for myself.

When we got to Fredericton my first thought was 'oh, this is Lenox, MA all over again'. It was covered with the snow but the sun was shining bright. All I wanted to do was sleep but we had people to see so I kept myself going with a bowl of coffee and a peanutbutter, bacon and banana sandwich - it was good!

I'm glad I did because after a meal we went to a mall, an actual North American suburban mall. Disappointingly similiar to our shopping centres but nice to feel as though I was somewhere familiar. I also went to Wal Mart for the first time.

Highlight of the day though - my first ice hockey game! It was great. I'm told that it was pretty tame even though there were fights, broken sticks and twice a doctor was called for. The team that I was supposed to rooting for was victorious so we all went out to drink and celebrate.

All in all, a great introduction to Canada. Now if only they could warm up a bit so that I can pop outside for a cigarette without risking hyperthermia everything would be perfect!

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.