Existing Member?

Service with a Purpose

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [147] | Scholarship Entry


When most people think of Africa, they think of the negative aspects and not the positive. I visited Kenya in 2011, but I knew there was a reason I needed to go. This trip changed how I think, live, and love all in the span of two weeks. This service trip was put together by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and was open to members and their families. One of Delta’s late members, Shirley Chisholm, once said, “Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.”

The group and I traveled to Machakos, Kenya and were greeted by students in navy blazers with the school’s crest and they sang welcome songs for us. We worked with the I Can Fly International High School (ICFIHS) and spent days with the staff and students on projects to improve the school. We helped with curriculum, gathering needed school supplies, buying more cement and food, and leading workshops for the staff and students. It was refreshing to be treated like a dignitary all because I was a teacher! School teachers are held in the highest regard and respected by all in Africa.

The floors of the soon to be finished dorm for the students consisted of stone and dirt. The students walk many miles just to come to and from school each day. An onsite dorm would allow the students to remain on campus throughout the week and return home on the weekends. The group made notes of the furniture and fixtures that the dorm would need and has plans to return to help with the final stages of the project.

This trip gave me a new approach on life by helping me to be grateful for the small liberties and focus more on service. I witnessed seeing people on the streets in Africa beg for money to buy food. Whatever food I had on me I passed along to children and they smiled and hugged me in appreciation. I don’t know what it’s like to be in need and I hope that I’ll never have to. I love helping others and I know now that I must return to finish the mission of service to the students and staff of ICFIHS.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About deltadream


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.