Existing Member?

Records of an Socially Awkward Teenager

What's for Dinner?

CHINA | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [206] | Scholarship Entry

A few years ago, I had the thrilling opportunity to travel outside of my small, culturally lacking town out in the boonies, and enter the mysterious atmosphere of China. The way the poverty was entwined with the rising economy was one of the most interesting things to see. There could be a large skyscraper, filled with gyms, swimming pools, even concert halls on a street, then walk a few blocks down, and see a slum in its shadow.

Many lessons were learned from this trip, such as pedestrians do not have the right of way, and these cars will not bother stopping. Weaving our way through the vehicles like a wave of bugs with the other pedestrians, the fellow travellers I was with soon found safety on the pavement. Although it was only a couple hundred meters, our screams of terror were recorded by accident on someone's cell phone. Being raised in a western society, I automatically assumed they wouldn't dare let a person get hit. Needless to say, I was quite thankful that my toes remained intact.

Another lesson was learned at the dinner table. My group had sat down and were placed in front of a rotating table, each with our own sort of kettle with broth heating in it. On the giant turning ring, there was a variety of meats and vegetables, the purpose of which was to add them to your pot, sort of like a soup, giving them the name of "hot pots". Being a hesitant soul, I refrained from touching any of the meats that didn't look immediately familiar. Unfortunately, a girl I was with didn't hear the warnings before we departed, not to mention the question of "what's this food?".

She picked up a slab of meat with a slightly grey tinge to it, almost appearing spotty. That was the type that I questioned grabbing. She added it to her dish, amongst the vegetables, and after it cooked, she took a huge bite and smiled, stating that it was one of the best meats she'd had in a long time. With a pause, came;

"This is really good, what is it?"

The two older Chinese ladies smirked at each other across the table and smiled. One finally was able to give out a hasty reply.

"It's cow stomach!"

The teacher who accompanied us was in the middle of chewing. You could see it rising back up in her throat, with her cheeks puffing up, looking like a frog.
The girl stopped immediately and spat it out on her fork, turning many deep shades of red, while I sat beside her, struggling to not burst out in tears of laughter.

All in all what should be learned is; enjoy your meal quietly!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About defying-the-gravity


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.