Existing Member?

story

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - we're part of history

INDONESIA | Wednesday, 3 April 2013 | Views [168] | Scholarship Entry

We walked across some small street at that main road to bring us closer to our destination. Once in a while the tour-guide told a history behind the street name, and some building ahead. Almost all the street name have been changed when our 2nd President rule our country. “To change the bad perspective of the name”, he said.
After a short walk we arrived at our destination. Some of us live here for our entire life, still we never see or hear of this place, not that everyone aware of historical building anyway. Again, the name of the building was changed by our 2nd President, but the reason because he just didn’t like the three words name. I mesmerized by the old building at the center of the new one. It’s awfully misplaced but beautiful. Somehow, it’s bring us to magical place called the past.
“The architect insisted to keep the old building there, when the developer construct the new hotel”, he said, “She is the chief of old building restoration in here and Solo”. It’s always been a contradiction when we talked about destroy the historical building for bring out the new history.
The wind blew so hard, and felt like we’re outdoor instead being at the center of the hotel, big building that covered all. They hanged a lampion all over, in a place that looked like a temple at first glimpse. He kept telling story about how the wing building destroyed to let heavy equipment entered, and rebuilt the same as before using the same old material.
There’s some new feeling inside me when he said that we, being part of our national history. That, somehow at that time we have place to called homeland despite what our race are. And there’s people who appreciate what happened in the past.
It was 15th of the Chinese calendar, and everything in there is create a new atmosphere. It feels like we’re part of another history too.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About deedjie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.