Existing Member?

Pilgrimage to Assisi

Assisi and La Verna

ITALY | Friday, 19 October 2007 | Views [518] | Comments [2]

<our journey started with very long lines at SFO.  We were pulled out as a group to make it faster but then the printer at our station broke and it took more than an hour to get our boarding passes.  Then on to the line at security, which was like a line for the best ride at disneyland.  Long and winding, but moving quickly.  We had a 747 but there was very little leg room per person.  Three seats on each side and five in the middle.  The flight crew was great and all alcoholic beverages were FREE!!!  When we arrived in Amsterdam we had to hike from terminal F to terminal D and we had to go through customs.  Out of the group I was hiking with, I was the only one to be pulled out and searched very indelicately while everyone watched.  There was a sign that you could request a private room for the search, but they grabbed you and starting patting you down so quickly, there was no time to react or even to remember the sign.  This woman was inside my pants looking for things.  She found my mediport and my prosthetic boob and asked me about both.  After I explained those two things, she lightened up a bit.  I have no idea what set off the alarm, but I hope I never have to go through that again. 

Our flight to Rome was delayed about 45 minutes and then delayed again when 4 people who checked in did not show up.  They offloaded all of the luggage searching for any luggage belonging to those 4 people.  Then - finally, we could leave.  I slept some on this flight. 

We did not have to clear customs in Rome and Bret met us at the baggage claim.  This was when I finally changed the time on my watch.  Counting the change in time zone it took us 26 hours to get to Rome from the time we took off in San  Francisco. 

Everyone has been super helpful and they are looking out for me.  I, in turn, am worried about Colleen's knees, Vince's tremor, and Father John.  <i think we are all exhausted, but physically okay. 

We are at the <hotel antonelli which is directly across the street from the cathedral of st mary of the angels.  we took the city bus to the basilica of st francis on the first day and had mass by fr.john and fr. joseph in the crypt chapel where francis is buried.  it was a very inspirational mass and a great way to start our pilgrimage.  because the plane into Rome was so late, we were all exhausted and we had missed dinner at the hotel.  So we got a light meal on the way from Rome to Assisi and then everyone pretty much went straight to sleep the first night. 

<i will try to post again tojorrow.  i'v been online for an hour, checking for any urgent emails, trying to figure out how to use the different keyboard, and reading josh's blog postings from the last week.  i need to get back to the hotel for dinner and our evening sharing session.  <just wanted you all to know that i am safe and sound in italy and having a great time. 

by the way, the value of the dollar sucks!!!  <i got £140 for my $200 the first day.  i'm trying to make that last as long as possible.

albert i get into sfo at 1305 on oct 26 on klm flight 0005. 

Debra

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Dear Mom,

Glad you're blogging, although, it's hard to keep up with your blog AND Josh's! I'm stressed at school and I miss not being able to talk to you on the phone. I still have an international calling card, so if you ever are staying in one place long enough, let me know and I can talk to you on the phone. Please take lots of pictures and send my love to Vince, Colleen and the Monsignor.

All my love!
Gabby
PS--The dollar does suck!

  Gabby Oct 19, 2007 3:46 AM

2

Glad you are having a good time and that you are all looking out for each other. We enjoy reading the blog and traveling along with you. Stay well. Love you!

Love,

Us

  Tina and Del Oct 20, 2007 2:27 AM

About debraocn


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.