Existing Member?

France with the family

Monday - the countdown to reality begins in earnest

FRANCE | Monday, 11 July 2011 | Views [348]

Last day in Paris - what to do???  Not enough time for Versailles (this goes on the list for next time) and we can't really manage the Louvre again (or more specifically the people in the Louvre).

La voila!  Notre Dame and Cemetiere du Pere Lachaise.  Why not start with the Gothic view of God and end with Jim Morrison's grave?  A certain symmetry in that. Needless to say, Notre Dame is still magnificent - the rose windows in the transept are just breathtaking.  

Oddly though, the greatest passion of the day was at the cemetary.  It was amazing to watch multiple generations of people visit the grave of a man who lived for only 27 years and departed this mortal plane 41 years ago.  The youngest visitor while we there was about 2 years of age and we were not the oldest to walk to the site -- by a long shot.  Quite astonishing.  People with their iPods on, sitting and listening to his music, humming along and swaying to the rhythms.  It was almost like you could hear the song they were playing by watching their bodies move.  People have taken to writing notes of thanks on the couple of trees near the grave site -- many were beautiful and touching.  There was even art work involved with some of the messages.

This was of course followed by our last full meal at the Cafe' Sarah Bernhard.  Croque madames or steak and pommes frites.  Either way it worked.

About debjn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.