Existing Member?

conflicting reports, by brent and emily

Via Taipei

TAIWAN | Wednesday, 19 January 2011 | Views [338]

Bags were packed, driven to the airport and the thought of sitting for a 08.45hr flight in front of us to only make it half way to Canada.. punishing

That is until we got to Taipei

4am in the morning walking through like a zombie, just hanging out waiting until the place comes to life, thank technology for free wifi

We meet a couple of Aussies (luke & Megan) who are keen to jump on the adventure bus with us, into the big city and we went for it.

First off onto the bus for an hour and half bus ride into the city, wanting to go to the big 101 tower, but nothing is open until 11am even the food outlets, so we keep walking around and around until we end up on the same spot just to find out the tower actually opens at 9am.. Make our way to the top and it is busy by then and $16p/person. 

It would have been great to do but the thought of spending the money in canada weighed up and we would only be looking into clouds.

So our legs keep carrying us along and being with another girl was great to go shopping, except when your in high tourist areas, so our next mission to find some kind of market place.

Very surprised at how well some people spoke, making getting around quite easy. pointing at our map from the tourist info centre made it super easy for the cabbies.

with some of our never ending quest for food growing stronger we find a little place called Kanpai and what a discovery! right in the middle of the city(No. 2-1, Lane 25, Nanjing W Rd.)The best place for a feed and drink, especially the drinks.. Asahi and Sake, the best! funny enough once we started talking in english we find a girl working there that had grown up in canada, trade stories and ask where some markets are. Milly gave us a place where to go for clothes shopping, so we jump into a taxi and on our way.

Every girls dream and a few blokes nightmare, shop after shop of clothing and shoes, so cheap but wish we had more time on our hands and some room in our bags, but i somehow walk out with a leather jacket for $70 and everyone else walks out with something regardless, just because you could.

Time just seems to fade away with the sun, so good idea to make our way back to the airport, what a mission,it seems like Taipei woke up with the neon lights and everything thing for them comes to life after dark, including underground.

So we wanted to stretch our legs and we did, 12 hours later, no regrets but where is the closest bed?.....definitely not on the next 10 hour flight.

Tags: transit

 

About deathroll


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.