Existing Member?

Travels

Week One - Bangkok and Loas' bigger cities

LAOS | Friday, 20 January 2012 | Views [533]

Notes:

Day 1 ADL - BKK

Jetstar via Melbourne. All went smoothly. No rooms at planned hostel so stayed at Europa Inn. Arrived in the evening; hiccup with our hostel booking meant we had to go to a nearby hotel instead.

Day 2 Bangkok

I haven't been to Thailand for 20 years and hadn't been to the new airport before. It was very impressive: Clean, modern, efficient. The rail line to our hotel was terrific, pretty crowded but inexpensive, smooth, air-conditioned. 

Took a local bus to Thewet then walked along the crowded footpath to Banlamphu and tnen onto the Grand Palace (though we were too bit late to look through it). Glanced down Kho Sanh Rd - the well known backpacker enclave I'd stayed at last time, but decided it wasn't for me anymore. Quite overrun with market stalls.

Day 3 O'night train to Udon Thani, Nong Khai

Spent the morning shopping for new camera. Also bought a cheap day pack on an impulse (that fell apart a few days later). Took the subway to train station and again was really impressed with the cleanliness, efficiency.

Day 4 Vientiane - Villa Lao

Over border without any problems

Day 5 Vientiane

Day 6 Ban Pha Tang

Day 7 Luang Prabang

 

 

 

 

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.