Existing Member?

Travels

Cairo Market

EGYPT | Sunday, 6 January 2008 | Views [608]

The pattern of Tim and I getting up early with Julian sleeping till lunch time continued. We went out for a long walk of discovery, found an ATM and then setlled in for a nice expensive coffee / milkshake at the "Beano" chain. Zamelek is a very nice suburb that seems to be full of embassies etc so the prices were high and quality good.
We decided to move downtown to reduce our costs a bit. We took a taxi to The Luna hotel which had a nice room a bit cheaper and more in the centre of things. In the taxi to the new place we struck up a conversation with the driver who was a nice guy  - had been a student of Engineering but gave it up to get married and took over his father's taxi. We decided to engage him for a tour the next day and made all the arrangements.
In the afternoon we walked through the city to what our guide book describes as "Islamic Cairo". In particular our goal was the famous Kahn-al-Khalali market. Julian was very keen to do some shopping and haggling so Tim and I did a small walking tour around the area including the Al-Azhar mosque.
We had a mint shai (tea) at the Fishawi Tea House that claims to have been open for 200 years without a break.
Dinner was at a pancake place in the main square where we were endlessly interupted by annoying kids begging and touts trying to sell us things. The pancakes were expensive and too sweet even for the kids.
We did some more shopping - bought Tim yet another pair of very cheap pants (half the price as the day before) then walked back to the hotel - with a long detour because of my taking a wrong turn.e

Tags: sightseeing

About dean_ian


Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.