Existing Member?

Searching for Memories

The American Spirit

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [179] | Scholarship Entry

Nestled in the heartland of America rests some of the most sought after bourbon in the world. Nine distilleries make up the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, and my four friends and I were going to attempt to complete the task in less than four days. Rolling down oak shaded country roads lined with stone fences and horse farms we set out on a journey to discover America's only native spirit. With a full tank of gas, some 90's country music and a head full of steam we meandered through the bluegrass state in search of memories that would last a lifetime. As our hands caught and directed the crisp November air out of the windows of our sedan we made the trek to all nine of the distilleries in less than four days.
Sampling the fiery libations at each of the distilleries gave us a look into a time forgotten, a slice of Americana that has been replaced by twitter feeds, Wi-Fi, fast food and over scheduling. I like my friends am guilty of immersing myself in this same culture. Barely stopping to appreciate the finer things in life and wishing my life away awaiting the next milestone in my career. As we sampled the smooth bourbon we learned a myriad of rules about bourbon that ensures no corners are cut, and that pride is taken in every barrel. We were receiving lessons on bourbon that later translated to lessons about life.
As we spent these few days together we realized where we were going wrong. The quest to earn a t-shirt had become a life altering experience. We watched with amazement as gruff old men stole the whiskey from the barrels with weathered hands and precision pours. A certain wisdom rested behind the twinkle in their eyes that resonated with my friends and me. As we are constantly rushing through life sometimes it is best to not cut corners and to take time to make sure things are done correctly.
The last night we were together we toasted a glass of Maker's Mark to one another knowing that we would forever be changed. We would continue to be husbands, fathers, students and businessmen; however we now had a new appreciation for taking the time to stop and sip the bourbon. Bourbon like life burns sometimes, if rushed through it can have dangerous implications. This is where we learned to slowly sip, to take in God's creation and appreciate the world around us. We may not always have tomorrow, which is why it is important to live for today. Through the roads of Kentucky we learned more about more than bourbon, we learned about becoming better men.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ddurrance88


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.