Existing Member?

Venturing to the Unknown

Blue Mountains

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 3 September 2008 | Views [639]

“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where there voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.”-Psalm 19:1-4

 

I have the impossible task ahead of me of describing a beauty that can not be captured by mere words, for it is a beauty that must be experienced by all five of the senses; and even after such an experience, one is left feeling as if they have only seen a very small piece of a much greater picture. With this in mind, I will attempt to describe my journey to the Blue Mountains.

 

It was 4:45 A.M. Friday August 15th…Already long past the time we should have left for the train station. I hate to admit it, but we were running late due to a severe miscalculation of time on my behalf. Fortunately, my traveling companions (David and Chris), were both very forgiving. Time however, was not as forgiving…So we had to get moving! The train was scheduled to leave for the Blue Mountains at 4:56 a.m. We were about a 16 minute walk from the station, meaning about an 8 minute run with all of our bags (give or take a minute). We took off running into the dead of night, and made it to the station with 30 seconds to spare. We felt extremely tired and slightly sick, but we made it! Our journey to the Blue Mountains had begun!

 

When you go to the Blue Mountains, more than likely you will get off the train in a town called Katoomba. In Katoomba, there are multiple tourist attractions, information booths, and lookout points. The most famous lookout point boasts a view of the entire valley as well as a view of the rock formation called “The Three Sisters”. It was here that I got my first view of the Blue Mountains in all of its glory… It was also here that we stood, unable to speak, for ten minutes.

 

After regaining our composure, Chris, David, and I decided to head into the information office to gather some information about campsites and hiking trails. We were greeted with some good and bad news. The three of us were looking for a trail where we could do some “adventure camping.” You know, the type of camping where it’s just you out in the middle of the wilderness with no trace of civilization for miles around? The good news was that they had exactly the trail we were looking for. It was a two day trail that lead you through the valley, up a mountain, and back up out of the valley. The problem was that you needed to be an experienced “bushwalker” because the trail was extremely hard to follow and was easy to get lost on. By experienced they meant that you needed to be able to use a compass and read a topographic map…None of us could do this. So…(Mom don’t get mad), we decided to wing it.

 

At about 1:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon, we descended down the golden stairs into the valley. With the prospect of the adventure to come, my veins were pumping adrenaline into my system and I was essentially on overdrive. The first landmark we were looking for was “Ruined Castle,” a rock at the top of a hill that looks like a, well…like a ruined castle. It was at the bottom of the Ruined Castle that we set up camp for the 1st night. After setting up our tents, building a fire, and eating, we spent the remainder of the night plotting our course for the next day. We decided on 3 things: (1) We needed to find water. Our water supply was ok for the time being, but by Saturday afternoon we would be pretty desperate for water. (2) We would use our common sense. If the trail got to tricky, then we would turn back and retrace our steps. And (3) We would make it up Mount Solitude no matter what!

 

We woke up Saturday morning, cooked breakfast, and hit the trail in search of water. After about a half hour of hiking, we came to a spot where we thought we would find some. The map indicated that there would be a creek bed, and it was right. There was only one problem… no water in the creek bed. According to the map, the next source of water was at the top of Mount Solitude.  We had no choice but to continue. At 2 o’clock in the afternoon, we finally found the creek bed at the top of the mountain…Unfortunately, there was no water. Rather than giving up though, we followed the creek bed. After tracing the creek bed for about 10 minutes, we came to the edge of a 1,000 ft (this is a guess) cliff. It was here, at the edge of the cliff, that we finally found water! At this point I think we all felt a mixture of excitement and relief. After filtering the water, we retraced our steps down the mountain and made camp.

 

The atmosphere around the fire that night was one of joy and celebration. We had accomplished our mission! I think that each one of us felt as if we were Lewis and Clark returning from a successful expedition to the Pacific Ocean. We spent hours around that fire…Chris, David, and I…talking about life…looking up at the stars...reflecting on God’s beauty. I wouldn’t give up the memory of that night for anything. 

About dbsig33


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.