Existing Member?

Venturing to the Unknown

The Early Days of Newcastle

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 18 August 2008 | Views [516] | Comments [2]

Good or bad, the first few days in Australia were not what I imagined…they were hard. I was forced to do something I hadn’t done in awhile; step outside my comfort zone. Each place I visited was foreign, every person I met was a stranger, and the country I had come to live in was overwhelmingly intimidating. I realized that the friends and family that I once clung to for security were now thousands of miles away. To sum it up in a few words, I had to start all over again.

Things started to get better after the first couple days. It was very gradual at first, but I started to notice a trend of each day being better than the previous one. This trend began when I got a job. One morning, I went into the Hub Coffee shop in our university’s student union to get some breakfast and relax. After eating my food, I thought to myself “what the heck, I’ll ask if they have any job openings.” I approached the counter and asked. Jess, the girl behind the register (who would later become my boss), told me to come back with a resume. Two hours later I handed in my resume. Jess looked at it for about 30 seconds, and with a smile on her face, she told me to show up for training on Saturday.

The trend continued as I began to know my housemates better. There are five of us in all; Harris from South Korea, Korina from Malaysia, Anna from The Netherlands, Joanna from Malaysia, and me…The American. From day one I got on well with Harris. He is a hard guy not to like. There is still a bit of a language barrier between us, but each day I feel like we understand each other a little better. In contrast, things were kind of awkward with the girls at first, mainly because of my reaction when I first met them. I was not expecting to live with girls when I came over here, so it caught me really off guard. On top of the problem of my initial awkwardness, it became even more difficult to build a friendship with my female housemates because Korina and Joanna were both very shy for the first few days. I don’t know who it was that let down their guard first, but once it was down, friendships began to form. My housemates are all respectful of one another and incredibly easy to live with. I can honestly say that I appreciate each of them and look forward to building stronger friendships with them over the next few months.

The big turnaround was about a week into my trip. It was a Tuesday night, and I was sitting alone in my room with nothing to do. Suddenly my phone rang. When I picked it up I was greeted by a “G’day David, this is Chris. Your housemate Joanna told me you were interested in a bible study. Would you like to come with me tonight?” I met Chris outside, and was both shocked and delighted to find that it was the same Chris who helped me find an RA my first night in Australia.

 I don’t know how to explain it, but from that night on, foreign places have become familiar, strangers have become friends, and Australia has become home.

Comments

1

You know David...you're a good writer. Seriously! I have read and written my fair share in life, enough to have a knack for it (hence the whole journalism thing), and you do pretty well. I really enjoy reading these! If only you had time to write more of them...but, haha, I know you don't. <3 Jalyssa

  Jalyssa Aug 28, 2008 10:14 AM

2

Dave, that is so cool that Chris was the one who helped you when you first arrived. That was totally the Lord.

I miss you tons.
Hope all is well.

  Makella Slavick Oct 20, 2008 1:05 AM

About dbsig33


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.