Existing Member?

Split at 4 a.m: Discover the real Diocletian's Palace

The Diocletian's Palace only for us

CROATIA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [165] | Scholarship Entry

Not many people like to travel in the night in a bus crowded and smelly. I do.

I like the idea of using my night time to reach the next destination. Furthermore I can sleep almost everywhere, so it is not a big deal for me sleeping in a bus...Apart when a one-hundred-and-twenty-kilos Chinese man was putting his head on my shoulder on my way to Mutianyu Great Wall, snoring louder than the engine sound. But that's another story...

Well, travelling on a bus...As Guns 'n Roses said "A Greyhound bus could be my way" and I agree since it lets you go almost anywhere, you do not have to worry about much, only not being in late and look after your things when people stop by and take their stuff from the trunk...not so easy when you are sleeping, uh?

Another thing you should worry about is...what can I do if the bus arrive too early in the morning?
Our "Balkan Greyhound" leaving the most human city we have ever been, Sarajevo, to reach Split on the Croatian seaside, was supposed to arrive at 5 a.m in the morning. Well the thing was that the driver was quite sure of himself on the Bosniac mountains and at 4 a.m we were there.

Drama? A thorn on our side? Or simply a pain in the !#^? Actually I must say we've never been so lucky.

After sitting a while on the floor of a rank crowded bus waiting room, we preferred going to the centre of Split, the Diocletian's Palace.

No idea was better than that: the view of the ancient roman walls perfectly conserved was an injection of energy for us, and we didn't care anymore about the weight of our bags.

The Palace was only for us!
If you take the exception of few groups of young people going back home after enjoying Split's Nightlife, nobody was around.
We could enjoy the small streets of the city in complete silence.

No screams, no selfies, no pushing. Only me and Eva discovering an unique hidden gem, the Diocletian's Palace without people!

Our steps sounded so clear on the white stones. The houses walls, still releasing warm from the day before, were nice to touch.
The foundation, full of covered shoals, were ready to face another day of people buying theis souvenirs; on the other hand, in silence, they looked so imposing that reminded us about the ancient roman ships coming inside the Palace to give their presents to the emperor.

After some hours the bell tower and sphinxes started to be wet by the sun's touch, and the first people were appearing & talking.
This was the moment we realized how lucky we had been.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About daytripandmap


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.