Existing Member?

Danielle goes to Africa

mzungu, how are you?

KENYA | Wednesday, 26 June 2013 | Views [369] | Comments [5]

So..I think people thought the last blog was it but im sitting at the airport with butterflies about leaving and about coming home...so I had to write one last journal!

"Mzungu, how are you" are the four words ive heard the most over these past six weeks. Mzungu basicallyeans white person and I definitely stood out amongst the crowd. After all these weeks hearing those words...I finally have an answer: I am very, very happy. This trip has taught me priceless lessons about people and the world and I am incredibly grateful that I had this experience. The day I got here I wanted to leave...I wasad at myself for thinking I could handle this trip and I wasnt far from phoning home to book an earlier flight because I didnt have faith I could last six weeks. I have three people to thank for calming me down: my father and two of my dearest friends. I didnt confess my fears about Kenya to my dad until fathers day but even without telling him those first days here...I knew he believed in me more than anyone else. So daddy, if youre reading this... you should know Im crying as I write this because I cant thank you enough for teaching me patience and perseverence. You and mom have raised Jake Em and I to be compassionate people and I knew I could stay on Africa and have this experience because you wouldnt have let me go if you didnt think I was capable. As for the rest of my family and friends...I cant thank you enough for your unconditional love and support. The atudents I fell in love with here dont have the blessing of such an incredible support system and it was because of the love from home that I was able to be here with them. There are so many things I could say about my trip but words dont do my emotions justice. I just know I have never been filled with so much love and joy because I have found another home in Kenya. I know I will be back because this country has shown me nothing but warmth and love...how could I not come back?!

My uncle billy taught me when I was only 7 that it is never goodbye...it is always "see you later". So...to this incredibly beautiful country...I say see you later. Nakupenda sana Kenya. Asanti sana...for all the blessings you have brought to my life.

"Dont ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Howard Thurman

Comments

1

Munch,
You're right, I knew you had the desire, spirit and toughness to handle this amazing trip, I, (WE) couldn't be prouder !! Love the quotes.
Love Dad

  Dad Jun 26, 2013 11:18 PM

2

Hi honey,
Believe it or not, I too knew you could do it and I knew I had to let you. I had to know it. I think that is what kept me going this past year and especially these past six weeks. How we handle our experiences and the choices we make certainly confirm how much we rely on each other, how much we are relied upon, and just how strong we are.
Love,
Mom

  Mom Jun 26, 2013 11:37 PM

3

The leaving is always bittersweet. And the weeks and months to come when you hear, see, or feel something that reminds you of your time in Kenya will be the gift you continue to receive. All the challenges we face make for a rich spirit. Safe travels. Love.

  Chloe Jun 27, 2013 2:11 AM

4

Hello,

You made me cry. I am so proud of you. I have no doubt you will live a productive life. God bless you.

Love JaZelle

  JaZelle Jun 27, 2013 4:45 AM

5

Way to go out with a bang, Danyoy. You've beautifully summarized your trip, even in saying there are no words. Safe travels. Love you.

  Hannorah Jun 27, 2013 11:54 AM

About dawson8893


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.