Existing Member?

Danielle goes to Africa

It pays to know a Kenyan in Kenya (cont)

KENYA | Monday, 20 May 2013 | Views [374] | Comments [6]

My phone freaked out on me...sorry for the abrupt end to the other post! Anyways...my other meals all included rice and kale and then chipati, beef, and lentils. His mother is an incredible cook! 

I learned a few things about Kenyam culture over the weekend. First, land is not sold here. What I mean is that when you have a house in one place and move to another city, you dont sell your home...it remains yours. The government also doesnt own your land...your land is your family's...forever. Second, if your husband dies, you are not allowed to remarry. The widow is expected to stay in the home and  raise the children. If she is young enough she can have another man come to the home for protection, otherwise her deceased husband's brother takes over the duties of a husband. Now if your wife dies, you can remarry but then again man can have as many wives as they want. My dear sister will get a kick out of this...Dan asked why it would be weird if I married my sister's husband. After I pulled my jaw off the floor I explained we dont share like that...he didnt understand but hey, just another one of those major cultural differences right? Oh my parents will also like this...Dan's mother and sister in law insisted I finish my studies in the states then return to Kenya where they will find me a husband and I will become Kenyan! Sounds like a solid plan to me minus the fact that my sister would quite literally kill me if I planned on moving half way around the world :).

I suppose I should tell you about my favorite little boy Ochibo. He is 12 years old and takes care of Dan's home and livestock when he is away living in Nairobi. TWELVE. He does more work than Ive ever done. He feeds the cows and chickens, helps cook and clean and is constantly being sent to the market to fetch items. He goes to school 6 days a week and I found out that every school, public or private, costs a fee. It was insane to hear that the cost of university in Kenya wpuld cover the cost of my books for two semesters. Whoa. In short..he is a boy full of personality and always smiling. He was quite the photographer with my camera amd when we were looking at pictures of him he said "I'm beautiful!" I sure wasnt going to argue because he is a handsome young man! He also said he does not like girls but he likes me...so basically...I became best friends with a little boy in 24 hours and even though Ill probably mever see him again...Ill never forget that smile!

I could go on and on about my weekend and all the small details I noticed like how matatus dont slow down except for chickens and speed bumps or how I saw a family of baboons on the side of the road coming home but my fingers are tired and this phone keyboard is so small! I had an excellent weekend though experiencing another side of Africa that only makes me love this place more.

I have one more comment to make though. When leaving Dan's his mom followed us for a bit on the path then sent us off with a double hand wave just like my Grandma Jane...a sight I will never forget. Mary is a brilliant woman with great strength and I can see how wonderful of a mother she has been. Speaking of...I can officially announce my sister and best friend Emily will be expecting her first child with my fantastic brother in law Charlie in December! I cried when she told me in April because I already love this little bundle of joy with all my heart. After forcing my sister to play house with me when I was young, I kmow ahe will be a beyond incredible mother and I have complete faith Charlie will be an excellent father. So congrats to you both! Little elf...your aunt cant wait to see you in December and I promise to return from Kenya with a special something for you:). 

Much love from Kenya!

Comments

1

1. No you can not marry Charlie!
2. No you can not move to Kenya forever!
3. The little elf loves you too :)

  Emily May 21, 2013 1:28 AM

2

Loved reading about the double hand wave. I can picture both "moms" waving their goodbyes. Grandma Dawson is definitely traveling with you!

Love,
Mom

  Mom May 21, 2013 2:07 AM

3

Terese, you better start practicing that grandma wave! :) Danielle, you paint beautiful pictures with your words... Keep 'em coming!

  Hannorah May 21, 2013 3:34 AM

4

Thank you for your blog entries. I keep checking the blog to see if you have signed in. What an adventure to go home with a Kenyan friend and see all the differences and the similarities. Your words about marrying a brother-in-law if the husband died is food for some crazy conversations!

  Chloe May 21, 2013 4:42 AM

5

I love your blog.

  Katie May 21, 2013 12:59 PM

6

You paint quite the picture. Don't stop. You are incredible and this is incredible and life is good to those who smile.

  Cecilia May 25, 2013 6:27 PM

About dawson8893


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.