Existing Member?

Danielle goes to Africa

Etranger

KENYA | Tuesday, 14 May 2013 | Views [405] | Comments [2]

Kenya! So nice to finally meet you! Culture shock doesn't come close to describing my few hour experience in Nairobi so far.  The traffic  is insane, the driving is chaotic but you somehow know you wont crash, the pollution is suffocating, there are people everywhere....I think it has started to hit me I'm not in America anymore. I have to say though, when I got off the plane, nothing mattered except for the fact that I am finally here. I will be living in the volunteer house for three weeks in Nairobi and the school I will be at is in the heart of the Kibera slum. I dont get to go until Wednesday but I am told I wont believe the devastation. 

While Im happy to be here but at the same time I am starting to realize just how much I have gotten myself into...BUT thats the whole experience..adjusting and adapting.

 

I'm currently hanging out with a variety of volunteers sipping on delicious tropical juice just slowly taking in this world. The people have only been friendly and welcoming...my cab driver especially! he did comment thta I didnt look like I am from California because of how pale I am....yes thank you I am aware George! I am just proud of myself for making it to Kenya....that is a miracle in itself Let the true journey begin.....

Comments

1

I am just so proud of you.

  Amanda Best May 15, 2013 2:52 AM

2

hahahah silly George

  Kathryn Porad May 15, 2013 5:04 AM

About dawson8893


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.