Existing Member?

My Asia

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 19 April 2012 | Views [840] | Scholarship Entry

When I was a little boy I never liked travelling. It was solely my parents’ passion who loved visiting new places. Still, they always used to take me and my sister to all their adventures. One of the first moments where I felt the magic of an adventurous spirit was our journey to Tunisia. Ever since then my love for travelling has turned into a challenge of discovering new cultures and traditions.
I remember arriving completely exhausted after our long flight and they welcomed us with a glass of fresh orange juice which immediately restored our energy level. It was harvest season for tropical fruit and there were freshly squeezed juices everywhere we went.
It is a country of two cultures, French and Tunisian, intertwining together and forming a unique experience. The hotels are exquisite and serve predominantly French cuisine. What left the biggest impression on me was the aroma of freshly baked pastry that tickled my nose buds, and the taste of melting pastry is simply beyond description.
Still, that is not the real Tunisia. The real Tunisia is experienced in the markets, the souks. Thousands of colours and aromas flash before your senses. Different kinds of fruit, vegetables and spices are a crucial part of Tunisian cuisine and culture. Their traditional drink is mint tea served with mint branches. It is a calming and relaxing drink.
The basis for all dishes is couscous made of steamed corn flour combined with various vegetables and lamb. Colourful dishes enrich their aroma and taste with sweet spices. The food is like their traditional clothing and character – colourful, yet calm and sweet. Tunisians are a hardworking and peaceful people who have managed to conquer the desert and create beautiful oases where they serve their traditional dishes, spices and souvenirs attracting people to smell, taste and feel their culture and soul.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About davorlovesasia


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.