Existing Member?

The Europe Experience

Láthatatlan Kiállítás

HUNGARY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [260] | Scholarship Entry

I consider travelling alone one of the best ways to challenge myself- and getting lost to be one of the most fulfilling experiences. There is no better way of getting to know a city than shyly walking across its streets looking for any reference in order to locate your destination.
While wandering off track, I’ve come to know some of the most amazing places in each destination I’ve visited. That is how I ended up in the Invisible Exhibition (Láthatatlan Kiállítás) in Budapest.
Here, blind guides escort you –speaking English, German, Dutch and Russian. First you become acquainted with your guide by hearing their personal story and having them teach you Braille techniques. After a little background you start the experience by entering to a completely dark and isolated space. Clumsily crossing the first hall you arrive to an apartment setting, where you feel your way through the kitchen, the bathroom and other house spaces that you now realize you’ve taken for granted.
After breaking the ice with some -I’m so sorry. As a result of accidentally crashing into some of your tour companions. You’re guided to the outside setting, with an incredible sound ambience you can feel particularly safely-scared. I was so excited wandering off, touching everything and trying to create a mental map of where I was that I didn’t realize the group had moved on to the next room. Once I stopped hearing the guide’s calming and confidence-building voice; I stuttered a hello that had no response for a few seconds. You would think that by knowing it’s all an exhibition and there is nothing inside which can hurt you, you will keep calm at all times. This was not my experience.
I started to panic; my heart began to race; clumsily I stumbled on all of the seemingly small decorations that had now become obstacles. I tried again. “HELLO,” I shouted! Finally, I heard a distant voice saying, “I’m over here! Don’t be scared! Find your way, just follow my voice.” My heart came back to its place and after a few more wrong turns I found my way to the guide. After a few more completely dark rooms the tour concluded in a still-dark cafeteria. As I fumbled through receiving and drinking my beverage, I began to think about how much we take for granted and about how brave other people are; overcoming so many challenges and being heroes every day. Until this day, once a day I remember how those sightless seconds immersed in a completely dark room changed the way I see things now.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About davitokun44


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.