Existing Member?

Flying South

Another year, another game drive!

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 2 January 2014 | Views [247]

The only plan we had for New Years Day was lunch at Steve and Cathy’s, friends of Deb’s who I’d met when I first arrived here way back in November. There were about 10 of us there in total and a very relaxed (and fabulous lunch) turned into a very relaxed and sociable afternoon/early evening in good company . It was the first time (to my knowledge) I have ever eaten Turducken, which is apparently a deboned chicken stuffed into a deboned duck which is in turn stuffed into a deboned turkey (I think I got that right!)  and along side this was one of the nicest pieces of gammon I’ve had in a while. (Almost as good as the one Deb served at Xmas!) ;-) All in all I had a top day, although New Years Day with temperatures around 28-29 degrees does take a bit of getting used to – and quite a lot of ice in the rum!

Today has been mainly about booking our next adventure and tomorrow Deb and I are heading off to Kwafabusi Tented Camp for a couple of days of game drives in a game park which holds all the Big 5 (Lion, Elephant, Rhinoceros, Buffalo and Leopard) plus lots of interesting antelopes and even Cheetah. Not sure what we’ll see or not see but I’m hoping at least for Rhino and Lion before I’m done here, anything else would be a bonus. That said, it’s summer here and the rainy season so the game tends to be a lot more spread out and not all gathering at the water-holes, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed and have to wait and see…

There’s apparently no electricity and stuff where we’re heading so I’ll have to update you with how we get on once we’re back. Until then, toodles.

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.