Existing Member?

Flying South

A different kind of Christmas?

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 26 December 2013 | Views [243]

I’d heard all about Christmas in South Africa before I got here so I was really looking forward to eating outdoors in shots and a tee shirt, enjoying the sun between courses. It seems that the sun was not let in on the plan however. Aside from that one small glitch the day was very pleasant and not dissimilar to the sort of Christmas I’m used to.

I didn’t really need to buy presents as Amy, Deb and Travis had already had their balloon flight but they do say the joy is in the giving so I had been out and bought

Small gifts just to give people something to open. What I had not fully grasped was Amy and Deb’s concept of Christmas stockings. Along side any presents given it is traditional in this household to fill a small Christmas stocking with sweets and small incidental gifts with the emphasis on fun. Luckily for me Amy and Deb between them had made sure all the stockings were filled, even mine. I also managed  nice haul of books from Deb and Amy although they may not get read until I get home.

Once the presents were done and the champers was finished it was off to visit Travis and his folks for an hour or so where there was coffee, panettone, chistmas cake and more presents, mainly between Amy and Travis, but I did come away with a rather nice bottle of Amarula, a rather pleasant cream liqueur made from the fruit of the marula tree

After that it was back to base for Christmas lunch. Although I thought I would miss my turkey with all the trimmings, the lunch served by Deb and Amy was absolutely wonderful.  Champagne jellies for starters (made by Amy)were followed by honey glazed chicked, ham, potatoes and salad, with Christmas pudding for desert, served with custard, cream, ice-cream or any combination thereof Bloody ‘ansome!

The rest of the day was pretty much spent lazing of sofas and taking it easy having managed the traditional Christmas achievement of over eating to the point of being stuffed. Which brings us up to today (Boxing day) an up to date. Amy has headed off for 2 weeks hols with Travis and his folks and, after a monster washing up session, Deb and I are chilling for the day and planning a couple of days away to visit the battlefields at Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift over the weekend.  

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.