Existing Member?

travel 07-08

phu quoc island & Saigon

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 31 October 2007 | Views [390]

By the time we arrived at phu quoc island my ankle was well on the mend but 11 days there made sure i was fixed.  We took motorbikes out one day and searched out the best beaches on the island, some amazing beaches all white sand and blue sea but i think the beach 20metres from our 1.50p a night hut was the best.  we also found a waterfall coming down from the mountains and found a nice bit to take a swim to cool off and wash off the red dust from the roads which stained all my clothes.

the day after that we were up early for a fishing and snorkelling trip, we caught small fish with a hand line and the snorkelling wasnt up to much but it was a great day out on a boat passing all the tiny islands and burning my shoulders to a crisp.

after a few more days laying on the beach and drinking rum which cost just over a pound a bottle we caught our flight from phu quoc to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)  as we arrived early we went to the 'museum of american war crimes against vietnam'  pretty disturbing to see the amount of misery the war caused amongst innocent people. then we visited the palace where the presidents of southern vietnam lived, pretty impressive, we took a long walk around the next day seeing all the sites and looking round the markets doing a bit of bartering for crap we didnt really want, then went to watch a movie in the rich part of the city, was strange stepping outside into an ocean of vietnamese traffic all on motorbikes instead of the usual milton keynes xscape.  after a curry and a few rums we went to bed and got up early today for a tour to the tunnels where the vietnamese soliders lived and fought from, also had a go shooting an M16!  lots of cheesy tourist stuff but all good fun and interesting.  time to go and get wrecked this evening as the nightlife here is buzzing. early morning tomorow though to catch a bus to Mui Ne. a mini desert by the ocean.

Tags: Adventures

About davidnicholson


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.