Existing Member?

Dave Tripper

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 22 March 2012 | Views [165] | Scholarship Entry

A lifetime ago I found myself in Semarang, Indonesia. It was a beautiful place which was like no other. It was my first time there and my first time traveling without any relatives that a part of me was still a bit nervous as to what to expect. And so for a day or two I tried to play it safe, not really coming out of my shell but not staying locked in it either.
With all those feelings running through my system, I found myself at a local café on a Sunday night. It seemed like a normal Indonesian café with all the usual furniture and a big screen TV. A few tables away were some musicians playing random tunes and somewhere by the side were people playing a local version of billiards.
I remember ordering myself a cup of hazelnut coffee, carefully observing the café I was in. Suddenly I was invited to play some local billiards and thankfully I did not decline. I remember playing and really getting engrossed in it that after a few rounds it felt as though I had been there for years. Yes, you may find it hard to believe but when I got up from that interesting game, I began to really hear people singing, playing the guitar, laughing, and reacting to the football match on the TV.
After that night I made it a point to head to that café regularly. In that café I would meet people, play chess with a local champion, learn to speak the local dialect, and even watch a football game or two. The best part is, the people there always seemed to be in good spirits and whenever I’d arrive, they’d know exactly what coffee I’d be getting.
Before I left Semarang for good, I remember running into a pal in the café and telling him I was heading out of Semarang. He smiled, wished me well, and told me that if it was God’s will then we would cross paths again once more. And so I hope and pray that someday I find my way back to that nice café up in the Tembalang district of Semarang where life was simple and times were great. O dearest café Loedji, how I long for a sip of your coffee!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About davidkrosario


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.