Existing Member?

...My Own Final Fantasy

Siem Reap

CAMBODIA | Monday, 16 February 2009 | Views [394] | Comments [1]

i think aside from ko lanta, siem reap is the place we stayed in the longest so far. siem reap is also the first place that we stayed at our guest house longer than 3 days. we stayed at this out of the way place called Popular guest house, and if you find yourself in siem reap, i'd recommend it aside from the sub par kitchen. otherwise this little town has a great selection of restaurants to choose from. we kind of set the temples of angkor off for a few days because landon ended up catching something similar to what i had on phi phi and phuket. 

we arrived on a weekend and just in time to meet a bunch of cool people at our guest house and party with them before they went to sihanoukville or back to their own country. amongst them, a canadian, two aussies, an isreal guy and an italian. i had my first 'bucket' at a bar called angkor WHAT!?... it was a vodka redbull... usually in canada you pay a ridiculous $8 or so for a glass size that is barely acceptible considering what you pay. here, it's $5 for vodka in a glass that size filled to the brim dumped in a bucket with ice and a shit load of rebull. it got me AND landon drunk. anyways, after all our temporary friends departed we got around to getting our week long pass to the kingdom of angkor. it cost us $60 but it was worth it.... passes go from $20 for one day, $40 for 3 days and $60 for a week. seems like a no brainer. i sure as hell didn't want to squeeze all my temple gandering into 3 days.... i want breaks! after a while, like my sister warned me, you start to get fed up with them despite their glory. after seeing like, 7 temples i'm thinking... it's just a pile of rocks.... but really, it's fricking incredible..! who the hell made all this? there are so many more temples and pyramids etc than i dreamed of there being. of the 7 days we had the pass for, we took advantage of it 5 times. so, in all, worth the 60 dollars. my favourites had to be the bayon and ta prohm. angkor wat was great, no doubt about that but the bayon had all these awesome buddha faces coming out of every direction and ta prohm was overgrown by the jungle and had all these trees draping their roots down the walls like tentacles... like nothing i've ever seen before.

anyways, my time is running out here i'll update more on siem reap a little later on.

Comments

1

Hi David,
Get your pictures up, too. What an amazing journey you guys are on! So you have spent a fair amount of time in Cambodia. Strangely today on the front page of the Toronto Star, there is a hugh article on Cambodia's Killing Fields. About the quest for justice in one of the worst atrocities of our time. Apparently they are setting up a special court, and the hearings begin tomorrow. How many people can be left around from that time? At any rate, better late than never, I guess.
When do you anticipate getting back to laura's? After reading Landon's blog, I'm thinking it must be very late in March or April. What ever you do and where ever you go, please be careful and don't let your guard down. Enjoy. Lots of Love, xoxo.

  Bert Feb 17, 2009 2:08 AM

About david_s


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.