Existing Member?

home on the road where the wind blows

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

USA | Saturday, 14 April 2012 | Views [236] | Scholarship Entry


The only thought on my mind down this rural road is not the persistent strain on my back or the coarse dirt lathered onto my skin, but the lone thought of home.  I have been down desolate roads many times during the night but never at this time of day when the sun begins its gradual decent into the depths of the horizon.  As I remove my aviator shades, I notice an ember tone like hue that embraces me. My eyes tilt lazily up to a conflation of defining bold streaks of magenta and scarlet that streak across swiftly against deep shades of wheat yellow and an ocean blue sky as if painted by an avant garde artist defying technique through reckless, unmediated strokes. I gaze into the distance beyond at a setting blood red sun that tints our white Chevy truck vividly with a spectrum of warm tones as dim chatoyant sunlight is reflected by the hood’s smooth angel white surface.  I remember the wind smooth and cool as menthol and forgiving to a still daytime sun, dry as whiskey that shone down upon me before adamantly but has now become comforting and a companion in a sense of consensual dominion. We drive pass wheat fields that lean against the wind in uniformity like a carefully orchestrated symphony, transcending in movement slowly from steady to the crescendo and worn crimson painted barns so quiet as if locked in time. The fields of wheat emulate a deep gold color with the light of the sun sparkling and dancing at its thin tips. The stench of Grizzly Winter Green chewing tobacco, Marlboro Red cigarettes, natural air, and mowed grass permeates like a strong perfume throughout the truck forming in cohesion with the sun sky and wind, the silent core of nature’s deafening call. The only thought on my mind is home. A man goes to many places in his life but he will always remember home and so from there on, I never found myself lost where there is the sky to look upon. I can chase this sun forever into nowhere because at that moment the only thought on my mind was home.  

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About daveohn


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.