Existing Member?

Culinary Rebellion!

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [267] | Scholarship Entry

Food is a part of every culture, but few cultures can claim a single dish as both a sign of defiance and a symbol of strength. In Peru, this dish is chiriuchu. A staple of Peruvian religious festivals, this hearty mix of corn, cheese and meat can be quite intimidating – topped with both guinea pig and trout eggs, many travelers will opt for safer options. Missing out on the rich tastes chiriuchu offers, from the saltiness of fresh farm cheese to the greasy crispness of roasted hen, is a shame – but missing the richness of the dish’s history would be missing out on the essence of Peru. The Spanish conquest and colonization of Peru left the native population powerless and penniless, with a new religion forced upon them and a centuries-old history virtually erased by their European oppressors. To keep some of their culture in tact, Peruvians would subtly mix their own traditions with their newly mandated ones. During church festivals, the native population would prepare traditional food and incorporate old customs into Catholic rituals, essentially protesting the Spanish rule while maintaining their own sense of culture! These “protest foods” eventually culminated in chiriuchu – a symbol of Peruvian resistance and display of the variety of food the country could provide. The humble ingredients and simple preparation of chiriuchu was a stark contrast to the opulence of the Spanish, and the native culture began to reconnect and strengthen its roots. To the Spanish, this was a form of treason bordering on heresy, and was severely punishable. With time, however, both populations began to adopt one another’s traditions, and Peru slowly created their own form of Catholicism, a unique blend of customs which now permeates through every aspect of the country. To experience chiriuchu is to experience this part of Peru, and the nod you get after taking your first bite of roasted cuy is not just an acknowledgement of your bravery, but a warm welcome to a rich history.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About davecolangelo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.