Existing Member?

Budding & The Doctor As we potter off around the globe for 6 months we thought some of you might like to keep tabs on us to a) check we're still alive and b) shout "jammy bastards" at the screen repeatedly. Please feel free to do both

Hong Kong for starters...

HONG KONG | Thursday, 1 November 2007 | Views [648]

So we've finally arrived somewhere that isn't in the uk (previous destinations of note being po na na in bristol and reigate).

Hong Kong is - quite frankly - odd. Think high rise, new york style skyscraper, neighboured by ghetto style, flea ridden cess pit, neighboured by skyscraper, and so on. The place seems to have been designed by arhitect on speed. I think the word is juxtaposition but i'd be wary of using that in polite company as I am a mildly illiterate welsh man.

Arrived in hong kong airport to be greeted by 1) starbucks, 2) burger king and 3) mcdonalds. Nothing like experiencing a bit of culture. Got to the rather swanky marriot on hong kong island (living in london for 8 weeks had to be worth something) and fought through the jet lag to go out for a stroll. Hong kong is big on shopping making it a rather ironic destination for a man with a pathological phobia of that particular activity. That out the way and jet lag dealt with, headed to the big buddha on lantau island. What can I say, it was big.

You may be sensing a certain lack of enthusiasm up to this point and you'd be right/ jet lag plus a minor delhi belly had added up to a gruelling first day and a half. However the view of victoria harbour from the star ferry on wednesday evening more than made up for everything. Nicely filtering out the aforementioned ghettos, the view was pretty stunning.

The evening was then rounded off with a trip to happy valley race course. You wouldn't think you could cram a 1500m, 55,000 seater race course into a place as compact as hong kong. you'd be wrong (they also got a 300 yard driving range in there). Excellent night out rounded of nicely by dave beating erica (comfortably) in the betting by $43 profit to %27 (a whole 1 welsh pound).

Today has been filled with a trip to the peak which despite being shrouded in the clouds, was still pretty cool. One minor disappointment was heading to the peninsular hotel. I was reliably informed before i went that it had wonderful views of the harbour and that when you went for a pee it was like tinkling in the river. Unfortunately there has been a minor land grab in front of the hotel and now all you can see is the arse end of the space museum. Oh well.

Off to lang kwai fong tonight for a bite to eat and drinks before flying off to 'nam tomorrow morning.

Until next time...

ps photos to come when we find a half decent internet cafe with somewhere to plug in the camera.

Tags: Shopping

 

About davebudding


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.