Existing Member?

RoadLife

The Windtrip to Bliss

MONTENEGRO | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [197] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I saw the coast of Montenegro from the airplane I felt a strong desire to sing “We are The Champions”. A bird's-eye the sea looked azure and magical blue but the first time I came closer to enjoy gentle waves and clear water, I was horrified and wanted to sing “Mamma mia”. My legs were covered with a thick layer of algae that smelled awful. I stopped to take a photo and tried to portray a happy smile and at this very moment a huge wave with algae and debris rolled back and covered me from head to toe. And then I’d understood - it will be the best vocation in my life! And I was right. Montenegro, my love, so beautiful, so different. Your ancient fortresses with destroyed walls and wonderful legends about of brave warriors who guarded them. Your Christian churches are in the neighborhood with mosques and no one sees that invisible border between these two religions. Your body is covered with olive groves and orange trees and wrinkled hands and smiling grandmothers harvest each year. Montenegro, my dream, you're covered with mountains, your roads are convoluted and dangerous but every sharp turn prepares a surprise for your guests. You're young and old-time, peaceful and independent, hospitable and proud. During my 8-days journey I visited 8 towns, met 8 sunrises and saw 8 sunsets. I enjoyed the local cottage cheese and fresh figs, freshly baked bread and viscous coffee brewed on the sand. But certainly there are all this joys in other coastal countries. Clear sea, warm stones and shady trees are not unusual. But there’s one marvelous thing I was finding in Montenegro. I climbed the mountains to find it but I saw just breathtaking view of the sea and the red roofs of small towns. I dived to the bottom of the Adriatic Sea to find it but I saw a bevy of colorful fish and various shaped stones. I looked into the nooks of ancient walled cities to find it but I saw a very old wells and churches, overgrown with ivy. I was impressed and fascinated by all these but the master secret, the clue of Montenegro I had found absolutely unexpectedly. I went hitchhiking from Wirpazar and the guy who gave me a lift revealed the secret of his country. He was spoken his native language fast and unintelligible but I understood the main words, which formed in my head in a puzzle. Bravery - Belief in God - Trust to your heart - Love – Freedom. This is the way, which Montenegro was gone to become such as it is now. I like it this way and I want to pass it too.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About dashaworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Montenegro

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.