Existing Member?

The place where magic happened

Palma de Mallorca

SPAIN | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [162] | Scholarship Entry

We were jumping around the palm trees, clapping our hands, laughing and taking photos. The last time I could remember myself feeling so magical and excited about something was many year ago back in the childhood. That’s how impressive it was for someone from the north to see the palm trees for the first time. It drove me back to the mindset of a child who sees a miracle in everything.
The sun was slowly going down, warm light set an idyllic peace around us, we were the only ones out there – yes unbelievable the only people right next to the exit of the Palma De Mallorca airport. This was how one of the most amazing journeys of my life began.
We lost the sense of time, we had no clue about the dates or numbers, or how much time we had spent doing something, none of that mattered anymore as we get lost and found again in the beauty of the island’s nature.
We got awaken from our euphoria by someone realizing that we might miss the last bus to the city center if we kept photographing palm trees like it was the eight miracle of the world. We couldn’t afford that our Couchsurfing host was waiting for us.
20 minutes later we were sitting in the park waiting for him to appear, it was getting dark, he was late. And we were supposed to start panicking as none of us had ever done this before. Couchsurfing as well as Mallorca was something new and seemed as equally unusual to us as the tropical nature we were surrounded by everywhere.
And then it all happened. It was funny how our Spanish host hardly could speak couple of words in English or understand any of what we were trying to explain to him. It was hilarious how we thought that we were the funniest people in the world telling jokes that has emerged in our culture to people from Spain, Germany and even Argentina. We soon found out that not everyone would laugh because of politeness like we sometimes did back at our home when we didn’t want the lousy joke teller to feel embarrassed.
During the days Palma was abounded with people, during the nights it fell into a complete silence. We were carried away from our daily lives and troubles by the wind, sun, air and the cliffs at the coast of the sea.
It seemed like people who spent their lives there couldn’t feel it but for us everything was exquisite and magical. The peace, the nature the sun and something in the air took our minds off everything else and got us focused right in the beauty of the moment. And we all could feel it.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About darlingliga


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.