Existing Member?

a whole world round the corner

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

UKRAINE | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [299] | Scholarship Entry

In my 20 I've traveled around the world a lot, not as much as wanted of course, but these trips are unforgettable and magnificent, each in its own way. Most of all I would like to share with you the impressions of my first acquaintance with France. I can’t complain about my intellectual abilities, but there was no time to start studying French before that moment. So I’ll try to convey to you the events of that day in all colors and detail from the outset.
Train ICE Stuttgart - Strasbourg moves at an average speed of around 300 miles per hour. To catch it in time I had to get up at 5 am and go to the station in Stuttgart. Imagine.. 5-30 am, the high, dark-haired girl standing at a tram stop, one hand holding a paper cup of coffee, the other arm straightens fugitive piercing wind hood of the light jacket. Besides her on the stop in spite of such an early morning there are quite a lot of people: two friends, returning from a night shift from the club, 25 years-old boy and three apparently well-familiar with each other males (small note: one of them was an invalid - had only half right leg) , it was he who oddly enough was the most gallant and offered to help me carry the suitcase. Long-known fact that transport in Germany runs exclusively on the schedule, so the benefit of the tram was not long in coming. I bought a ticket and took a local near this nice gentleman. Throughout the 8 stops separated me from HBH he entertained me with stories about his dog and her puppies. Upon arrival at our destination, we parted as good friends with a sincere desire to see again. Stuttgart station is almost like a home to me, so the train I found with no difficulty, but the place had more to suffer, because few people wanted to sit next to my rather big suitcase. In the end, I managed to find a place near a window in a non-smoking cabin, just at the moment when the train started. I settled comfortably in a chair next to my not a little suitcase. To my surprise I have absolutely no desire to sleep, but there also was no possibility to turn on my I-Pod or to read. Having nothing to do, I began to consider my neighbors, other passengers. The direct appointment of the train was Frankfurt - Paris, therefore, not surprising that I was surrounded by people of strong appearance, in beautiful costumes with laptops and necessary documents. The most interesting recognition of the nationality was very easy to distinguish the German from Frenchman, not only by their behavior and gestures, they even have different smiles. Frenchman makes it somehow relaxed, carefree with a clear spark of a hitch in his eyes, the Germans there can be read only pragmatic and pedantic. With such a nice company in just half an hour I arrived at my destination - Strasbourg, who surprisingly did not meet my expectations and met me in damp, cold greyness and explicit. It was 8 am; people were bustling around, hurrying to work, which is not too much interested in me, my ignorance of the language and lack of idea where the hotel is located and how to get there. Due to the logic and observation, I easily figured out the main street and decided to move on it in search of a man who can give me at least a couple minutes of your precious time. The weather was damp and cloudy, piercing windblown to the bone, and passive views of passers made me think about the advisability of my visit. But very soon my opinion of the city and its inhabitants has changed dramatically, each of whom I’ve asked; whether it was a guy, mom with a baby or a homeless person, felt his duty to draw from memory all the knowledge of German or English, to explain to my future direction. With grief in half of an hour I still got to my hotel, but then I expect the unexpected surprises.

As it turned out, the guy working at reception was extremely limited supply of foreign words; I had to spend half an hour to start using sign language to talk with him, hid in the room and take a shower. Number is a different story. It's no secret that the land in Europe is expensive, so all the houses are built close to each other in the truest sense of the windows face one another. My room was not only a corner of cold (without the slightest hint of warming), so still and opened the window, I was compelled to shake hands with a woman who lives across the street. I got the impression that if you really want would be to kiss her cheek obi just leaning out the window. But it was not all. Top of it all was the smell, it seemed that in this room three people died, five were born, and someone forgot to throw the gamy cheese. That though it cut the already not the best impression of the city and the hotel I decided to walk along the planned route. I wandered around the streets of the city, looking in shop windows all closed shops, examined the passers, the architecture of houses and did not notice that the weather got much better weather, warmer and the sun came out. Lanes, small streets and courtyards, I was near the main cathedral of the year, but will approach closer to him, or go inside I have not given out any possibilities. On this day, there were shooting historical films, which allowed me to experience the atmosphere of the era, Louis. Nevertheless, I decided not to fill up the crowd at this show staring onlookers and continue its way to the main purpose of my visit - the European Parliament building. Finding it was not difficult, it was necessary to go all the time right and watched the remaining of the building behind the Palace of Republic, the University, various consulates and representative offices in other countries, before I stumbled upon the Council of Europe followed, followed, and hid my goal. It’s the place where the fate of the EU solves. After overcoming all the way in just three hours, I wondered with dismay, what to do next. The river bus helped me with this. Excursion in itself didn’t inspire, but the view from its windows struck by its beauty and history: sculpture, mosaics, painting houses all gasping breath. Not appreciably day has come to its logical conclusion and a very sharp question about dinner arose. I'm eager to try it Alsatian cuisine, famous for its simplicity and fine taste. At this little cafe, I noticed another walking day and promised myself that it was there that the French spend their first night. The atmosphere is cozy establishment was fascinated, and friendly waiters will attach in seconds. At the sight of food all the turmoil has evaporated instantly, and a glass of wine as a gift from the institution and does strengthened my growing love for France and the French. After such a delicious dinner very much reluctant to return to the cold and lonely hotel room, so the decision was made to feel more and taste of the evening city. Light lamps on the embankment and strolling arm in arm in love couples of all ages evokes a romantic mood, and the moonlight reflected in the calm waters of the river in combination with the sounds of music coming from nearby cafes strengthened the positive impression about the country. And even the night in a cold room in woolen socks and under three blankets could not spoil the impression that France has given me many faces of the first day of our acquaintance.


Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About daria_grytsenko


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ukraine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.