Existing Member?

Go where the Wind blows

Khop Khun Kha

THAILAND | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [173] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I travelled out of my own country I was standing on Thai soil. I knew once the travel bug had latched itself onto me, with no intention of letting go, as a warm sensation passed through my body. Pure excitement. I was in awe of how beautiful and full of culture Thailand was. This is what I discovered.

If you are a person who cannot stand crowded streets, buzzing traffic, weird and wonderful smells and exotic foods than Bangkok is definitely not the right place for you. I experienced all of the above in all its glory in the three days I was there. Apart from staying in the better hotel Bangkok has to offer, my girlfriends and I wanted to rough it as much as we could handle. Everywhere we went we walked. We went down the deep and dark alleyways that if not explored would’ve been such a shame. We discovered bargain after bargain. Shopping being the main tourist activity there. The little Thai people, who are so open and friendly, were always willing to bahta with you. The Jewel of the city of course being The Grand Palace. Gold’s and Emerald greens were the colours that flooded your sight. Majestic architecture that is so beautiful it evokes the same feeling as falling in love.

From Bangkok to Phuket, we found other elements that Thailand has to offer. White sands, warm, crystal waters and electric nightlife. An island holiday every person envisions. Naturally we became beach bums, sunbathing when we had the opportunity. We hopped onto a boat cruise which took us to the stunning island of Phi Phi. If you haven’t yet, snorkelling with the tiny yellow fish in the Indian Ocean is a must. Life under the ocean gives you a whole other perspective. Another fun activity associated with Thailand is massages. As small as the Thai woman are, they sure are strong. They will get knots out of the bulkiest of man. And of course, I can’t leave out the elephants. These gorgeous and intelligent animals are part of the Thai culture. If you are an animal lover, which I am, then it might be very difficult to get yourself to ride one of them, which it was.

This is what travelling is all about. Seeing places you haven’t seen before. Each destination with its own sort of uniqueness. Doing things you wouldn’t normally do at home and experiencing things native to the country. Finding some things so easy to do without thinking twice, while other times having to pep talk yourself .Thailand was sensational.

Khop Khun Ka (‘Thank You’ in Thai)

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About daretotravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.