Existing Member?

I Didn't Plan On That

Sore Feet in High Places

USA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [126] | Scholarship Entry

It all started the other day, in the middle of Kochi with no plans and very little money when I somehow ended up at a bus station. A ride to Munnar cost a dollar. At that price, I didn’t care that I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I happily bought the ticket and waited for my bus. I was still proud of my one-dollar ticket when the rickety, metal deathtrap arrived. I saw the windowless wagon taking me on my five-hour journey up the mountains and hopped in. Four hours later I sat crushed between a hefty man and a hole that occasionally let in flying rocks and branches. The bus roared up the mountain disregarding the blind turns as it teetered over steep cliffs. I was sure the driver had a death wish. Upon arriving, I fell out of the bus thanking God for sparing my life. Since I never planned on being in Munnar, I wasn’t sure what to do next. A man named Polliny offered to take me to the summit of the mountain and I easily agreed. Soon I was off on another mad dash down winding roads. Just as I hadn’t planned on being in Munnar, I hadn’t planned on climbing a mountain. My shoes were blatant proof of that. Here I was expecting a nice slow walk up a mountain, one easily done wearing my fluorescent pink flip-flops. But as the tuk-tuk pulled up to the monolithic beast of a mountain, I realized I was in over my head. Without effort, Polliny ran up the steep rock face, leaving me to find my own way. My naïve mind thought, I’d be safer if I just take my shoes off. Up I went, shoeless. But as I crouched near the edge of the cliff and gripped onto anything I could find, I suddenly realized that I am afraid of heights. Tears flowed as I foresaw myself tumbling to my death. My breathing quickened and perspiration gathered on my forehead. Polliny yelled to me to stay where I was so we could make our way down, but being the stubborn one that I am, I refused. I didn’t care if I was going to have to crawl on my hands and knees; I was going to the top of this mountain. Hours later-on my hands and knees-I reached the top. I stared at the ground beneath my feet with silent tears still streaming down my face. When I finally found the courage to look up, I was met with insurmountable beauty. From up in the clouds, I gazed out at the bright tea plantations and mountain peaks that rolled endlessly beneath me. It took all the courage I could muster, but I was on the top of the world. My blissful happiness was replaced by fear when I heard; it’s time to go back down.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About darc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.