Existing Member?

Sand, Waves and A Sun

Catching a Moment - Kahea

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 17 February 2013 | Views [389] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

I could taste salt in my mouth and down my throat.
My eyes are red and sore, moist completely evaporated from them,
Scaly patches slowly forming on my skin where they itch and burn.
Still, I lay chest up on my long board—a best friend I never knew until today--- Waiting for my good, ground swell.
As I lay there on my board, all I heard was the music of the bluest water and the pounding of my heart rhythmically joining together. Watching. Breathing. Wanting.
Perhaps, there are others too who are just like me, waiting for their perfect wave to ride, waiting for their moment of glory to cherish even only a short time. But I got my own battle right here. A battle I want to win.
Thinking how I will struggle to surf aroused my spirit some more to stand the weakness of my body from the long, weary travel I had 6 hours ago.

Its my first time in Baler, Aurora, Philippines. My goal was just to go away from the pressure and the buzzling chants of the city where I live. I went there with people I don’t have high interest with but I told myself, “What the hell, its the place where we’re going that counts”. And so, we went at it for 5 hours, coming from the capital city of my country. Mouthing song lyrics along the way. Watching outside the window. Deeply thinking of what may unfold in my life once I get there.
Midnight we travelled and the morning light was already licking the skies of Baler when we got there. We travelled straight after work. No sleep, nor rest. But when we stepped onto the shore, wet sand covered our toes and the cool breeze from the sea instantly flushed our lungs. The sound of the splashing waves filled our ears, replacing the city babble we have escaped momentarily.
At that point, energy rushed from my toes up to my dizzy head. I walked the shore like a crazy person--- Barefooted, smiling to myself. That moment, all I could think of is how stoked I was. Not leaving yet, I know I will go back there. I know I will.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

Comments

1

Interesting choice of words :D I would love to see Baler, too!

  Aicelyn Feb 28, 2013 12:12 PM

About danyisstoked


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.