Existing Member?

Dan and Kilee's Travels

Klong Chao Waterfall

USA | Friday, 2 January 2009 | Views [1588]

Klong Chao Waterfall

Klong Chao Waterfall

We woke up early today, rented a 2 person kayak and were on our way down the river.  We headed toward the Klong Chao Waterfall - a famous site on the island of Koh Kood.  As we paddled, we passed other resorts along the river.  The river is freshwater and flows directly into the Gulf of Thailand - a very unique place. 


We paddled about 15 minutes when we came to a small dock where we left our kayak.  From there, it was about a 15 minute walk on a rocky jungle path.  We walked hesitantly not knowing that we were going the right way.  Fortunately, there were little signs along the path pointing us onward.  Finally, we reached a large sign "Klong Chao Waterfall."


It immediately reminded us of Gooseberry Falls north of Duluth with its multi-layer falls.  We continued to the main falls which were encased in a small cove -- beautiful.  On the right side, a make-shift swing with two handles hung over the water.  We both tried our turn on it.  I'm trying to upload the video for that.

Then, we stood underneath the falls.  What a great sensation -- cool fresh water dropping from above.  It was a moment like you see for a honeymoon commercial -- truly fantastic. 

The best part was we had the entire cover to ourselves.  Our plan of leaving early in the morning paid off.  As we were leaving, other people started to filter in. 

If you are ever in Thailand, we'd highly recommend it. (;

We headed back down the trail and to our kayak stopping along the way for a nice lunch at one of the other resorts.  I absolutely love love love Thai food.  The curries alone are worth the trip.  For lunch, we ordered 4 dishes (red curry with seafood, glass noodle salad, vegetable salad, and vegetable stir-fry) and drinks for $13.  Amazing!!

We returned to our resort for our afternoon nap.  Thinking of all you often but don't envy your snow or cold as we sit in our bathing suits on our deck overlooking the Gulf.  Not trying to rub it in -- ok, well, maybe a little.

Later.

Dan and Kilee

 

About danweiler


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.