Existing Member?

Dan and Kilee's Travels

Night Bazaar

THAILAND | Monday, 29 December 2008 | Views [554] | Comments [2]

Thai silk is difficult to resist

Thai silk is difficult to resist

After a refreshing cold shower (it is wonderfully hot here 85+ degrees and HUMID) & short nap to help with our jet lag ~ we went to the night bazaar.  

Given we are in the Old City the subways are not near us, tuk tuk is the cheapest and fastest mode of transportation.  A risky trip, we quickly arrived at the Suan Lum Night Bazaar - a large fair/flea market with a food area and musical act.  It was very much like a night market we went to in Sao Paulo, Brazil last June.  Drinking german beer and listening to Eternal Flame, by the Bangles sung with a Thai accent was an experience. And the small stall shopping is eye-candy, meanwhile no one bargains as well as Dan (even the Thai are charmed by him).

Despite being in the city center, the buildings are incredibly ornate and all plants are extremely lush.  The markets are vibrant.  We have to drive through Chinatown to get to our hotel in the Old City and there is a distinct change in smells as we drive through - its wonderful.  And driving an open-air tuk tuk through the flower market is phenomenal - bird of paradise as tall as a person and more flowers than I have ever seen in one place in my lifetime.  As Dan mentioned the people here are some of the friendliest in the world, very devout to their faith and king.  

We are looking forward to a Thai cooking class in the morning and will have to take a ferry taxi down the river. 

 

Comments

1

very exciting to read about your travels - makes me want to honeymoon all over again! I've sent the link on to other Olsons. Safe travels and may you meet lots and lots of locals!!

  adrienne Dec 30, 2008 4:23 AM

2

I'm so glad you made it safe and sound after a few obstacles! It looks like you have already seen a lot and are having a wonderful time! It's very exciting you are able to share your trip with everyone.

I'm drooling over the silks!!

  Janel Borchert Dec 30, 2008 5:42 AM

About danweiler


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.