Existing Member?

Bruce County Travel

Into the Dark

CANADA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [199] | Scholarship Entry

It’s summer time; the temperature outside is hot with a cool northern wind. It’s dark where I am, rocks are all round me and I can’t feel any of the cool breeze I know is out there. I’m starting to second-guess myself. How did I end up in this situation?
There is light below me, I brace myself and continue to climb down the rocks. The tunnel opens up. I feel the hot sun on my face and before me stands the beautiful grotto of the Bruce Peninsula National Park.
The grotto is a naturally formed cavern, which sits along the most northern part of the Bruce Peninsula and the Niagara Escarpment. It is located on the crystal clear blue waters of Georgian Bay.
The water surrounding the grotto looks tropical, like you would see in a travel magazine, although it only takes one small dip in the water to remind you that you’re in Canada.
So how did I end up in that hole in the rock?
To get down into the grotto you must climb down a small hole at the cliffs edge. Although it sounds dangerous, it is pretty safe, assuming you wear the proper hiking attire. The tunnel starts off small, but once you’re in, it opens up so you can scale down the rocks.
Once down at water level, you can jump in the water or just relax and take in the view. Inside the cave there is a high ceiling that looks as though the rock was chiseled away. On the ground, there is a wide, clear water hole surrounded by more chiseled rock. When you look into the water you will see a small light coming from its depths. This is in fact a hole in the rocks at the bottom.
Some swimmers take advantage of this hole and are brave enough to swim through to the other side. While others simply admire the beautiful blue light illuminating the deep dark waters.
This favourite tourist destination isn’t only popular for its breath taking views but also the history of its waters. Many are intrigued by the mystique of the ships whose last voyage ended in a somber descent into the depths of the bay.
When you enter the water within the Bruce Peninsula National Park you are stepping into Fathom Five National Marine Park. This park was the first National Marine Park in Canada.
22 shipwrecks rest at the bottom of the National Marine Park. It is for this reason that Tobermory has some of the best fresh water scuba diving in the world.
Thousands of people travel up the Bruce Peninsula every year to witness the captivating historic beauty of this majestic tourist destination.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About daniellelatendresse


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.