Existing Member?

My whimsical wanderings where are we going? I don't know, I thought you knew. No, I don't know. Maybe he knows. No. He definitely doesn't know. Maybe no-one knows. Oh well. I hope it's nice when we get there.

Mekong Delta

VIETNAM | Friday, 5 October 2007 | Views [346]

Today i went on a day trip to the Mekong Delta. I think we'll be going there with the tour but I fancied getting out of the city and no harm done to do it twice. So we (there were mostly Aussies, a few Chinese, and another girl on her own, Anna from Israel) took a minibus to My Tho city where we got a boat to a coconut candy making place (see photos), the candy was fairly nice though they take hours to eat and do untold damage to teeth, so i didn't buy any. We then moved on to a bee farm (no i don't like bees but they weren't too big and scary) and tasted honey tea - hate tea but this was surprisingly nice, nothing like tea, more like honey and lemon pretending to be tea. Those brave tourists held a python (see photo), i had no such desire but i did stroke it. After went to a restaurant somewhere for lunch, nice spring rolls.  Off we went then in lil row boats (when we got to wear the conical hats) to Unicorn Island for fruit, accompanied by the most hilarious music, actually like they were strangling a bunch of cats. That was my only thought when they started and tried not to giggle but then i caught Anna's eye and we couldn't help it and got slightly hysterical. Was v.funny. She and i agreed to meet for dinner a bit later on and we wandered through the night market - i found bikini bottoms, hallelujah (it's been a mission)! hope they fit, only £3 lost if not. I'm pretty fed up trying to avoid mopeds literally everywhere, and sometimes i swear they're aiming at me. Hehe, Anna was looking at a pair of those linen trousers everyone wears when they're in Asia on holiday (bit cropped, wouldn't be seen dead in back at home)and the woman measured her to see her size and it was XXXXXL - who knew that even existed?! So i was off in hysterics again, so was she and felt too insulted to buy them. Snuck a peek into a club on our way to a more touristy bar near our hotels and it was quite a sight. Security everywhere - they seemed to have a guard chaperoning each group of people for some reason (inside), it was a bit like Elements (Bmouth), not that big but strobe lights and balconies, house music and girls wearing extremely revealing clothing (we're talking white micro skirt, fishnets, 'top' like a bra with extra bits of fabric down the sides - not to my taste but each to their own. The tourist aimed bar was much nicer, rubgy on the tele (Australia v Canada), pool table, dance floor upstairs if the mood takes you, and mojitos. :-) Becky's coming in the morning, so v.pleased about that, will be fun.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.