Existing Member?

The Size of the World

A minor of explosion of gas, a major outburst of fireflies and stars

NEPAL | Monday, 2 June 2008 | Views [716]

I took the bike to fix a puncture the other day, and enjoyed seeing the mechanic put the tire in water to look for air bubbles to tell where the hold was. His patience in rotating the tire to put each section in the shallow bucket, pressing gently and looking intently was quite impressive.

I keep getting these lessons on patience in the most obscure ways. I tried to deal with the gas burner that exploded on me this weekend (story to come), and the guy at the store simply screwed it on and said “it works fine, you must have patience, you cant push it quickly, you must listen to is and have patience”, and on and on.

So, perhaps I did not have enough patience with the gas, but I’m happy to say I did have enough to walk six hours in the sun and enough to sleep outside like I;ve always wanted and not be afraid.

Tom-Lev, Ben, Yoel and I went on a bus to Dulikhel, around 2 hours away, bought a kilo of litchi for the road, and from there began walking. First up the endless steps to the Kali Mandir, then down through the winding roads of peoples lives. From that peak on we could feel the relief of being on the outskirts of the bustle of the city and start soaking in the calm of the green around us. It was quickly clear, however, that we were not on the path less traveled- as we deciphered that the group of adorable children following us were repeating the often heard mantra “one pen, one rupee, chocolate, one photo” rather than fuzzy words in Nepali. It was funny when Tom said “Ain Li Klum” (meaning I have nothing in Hebrew) and one of the little girls started repeating her. Every child we say would without a thought scream out one of all the requests as we passed- one even threw a potato at tom when she didn’t respond!

On either side of us were endless patches of bright green rice paddies and brown sections of potatoes. We watched as the women worked in the boiling sun and the men sat in the shade, and I felt my insides become the temperature of rage. How is it possible to think of women as weaker when they are doing all the work in the fiel and at home? How do these women even have the capacity to work that hard and long- how do they bodies physically endure the weight of the baskets of bricks or fodder that they carry on their heads and their backs slouch and they height simply shrinks over time? Well, I guess the colors are pleasing to the passing tourists eyes- but again, it made me think of what the university student told me on top of the bus the first weekend- “our poverty looks beautiful in toher country eyes, yes?”

And so it was, we continued on through the village of Sankhu with its different colored houses and thatched roofs looking out on the open spaces that sustain us all, over bridges connecting people and goods until we reached Panaouti and the end of our litchi.

For the last stretch of the walk we had a nice man named Ram Prashad (I met around 5 others once we entered the village) walk with us and ward off the swarms of chanting children. As we passed orange and apple trees, he asked if we also had them in Israel. If he only knew the delicousness of the nectars of the Holy Land! Then he tried to ask what we do with dead bodies in our culture, which was understood only after many hand motions and unpleasant noises to symbolize dying. Eventually I figured out the word for grave was similar to house- as in, in our culture we build houses underground, in his a fire above. I was able to confirm this was what we were talking about when we reached the site of a temple on the filthy water and a fire, which was actually a body burning. Although I saw this same site from a distance last week when we went to Pashupati (very important site in Kathmandu where they burn all the bodies), it was still striking to see two dark feet sticking out amongst the white of his clothing and the oranges of the flames. Now we understood why he said this was the bad river, and further along theres a better one…

It was around 6 pm when we began a mad search for Dal Bhat (rice and lentils, the national food) before dark so we could still be able to find a patch of earth to sleep. 6pm is apparently the wrong time to search for Dal Bhat, as the eating schedule is more like 6 am a light snack, 10 am Dal Bhat, 2pm snack, and 7pm Dal Bhat again. So they settled for meat moms and I for some mixed beans. I also bought some carrots and zucchini and borrowed oil from the restaurant – now totally prepared to play survivor in the woods. We gave one last look at the sky for confirmation it wouldn’t rain and set out to find a semi-hidden spot on the banks of the narrow river. We settled for what turned out to be the neighborhood shower area and waited out the last man rinsing off to get comfortable. I tired to set up the gas but as I swered it on I heard leaking sounds. Tom tried a few times and then suddently threw the little tank f butane as a fire erupted. Perhaps erupted is a strong word to use, but it was substantially big considering the tank could explode and the was plenty of flammable stuff around it. We dispersed to a safe distance and watched the flames illuminate the one pitch black night. After a few minutes the flamed went out and we kicked the gas into the water to be safe. Raw carrots for dinner it was.

After all the excitement, we settled down to watch the marriage of the fireflies and stars until it felt like the lights of a concert just for us. I woke with the morning dew and rushing water and began to understand how poetry was born. And, oh the poems I could write on the genuine niceness of the nepali people! Because the gas broke (or at least there was no way I would touch it again) I asked a Didi (term for any woman figure) if I could use her stove to make the oatmeal I’d bought. Even though she let me make it in her kitchen and through broken nepali I managed to explain it was from wheat and very good for you, and I made enough for her too- she insisted we sit while she serves us and looked on in utter glee as our bellies filled up. She insisted on waiting until we were done and had scooped out seconds without touching our cups (a cultural taboo, and a feat considering the stickiness of oatmeal). She didn’t try it with us- saying she would only eat after we did- but I think she didn’t want to ruin her appetite for her 10am Dal Bhat. We walked by the narrow path, down the worn foot path to our grassy abode, and I thought how other tourists would look at the trail from the highway and think how nice it was, but to us we already feel part of it all enough to become a scene in the picture. It probably doesn’t really look that way, and certainly doesn’t always feel so- but for that moment…

We spent the day reading until the rains came and we hid with the cows and their stench and watched the rice paddies overflow with water and joy…

About danielle_bergman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.