Existing Member?

The Size of the World

Pani Omala and Mental Breakdowns

NEPAL | Saturday, 10 May 2008 | Views [551]

    Im sitting in the silence of the 2 am computer room in the house and writing in Word because the internet is too slow. Im thinking of where to start the writing, as I do every time, and sad at how bad I am at keeping this blog. Im also thinking of the concept of it as a personal public space, the two meshing together and intertwining with my thoughts of how to update a general crowd. I have decided that I wanted to share that part of why I haven’t written is because over the past few weeks I felt that I was experiencing a bit of an irrational breakdown which greatly disabled me from doing anything much productive other than feeling crazed. I realized that the only way to get out of the figurative space was to change my literal space, and decided rather quickly to head to the village (that I had decided not to live in) for the week. Now I have come back from that week in a much better place, although still unsure of what I am doing, and attempting to maintain this good energy.

 I just brushed my hands over my shoulders and felt how hot they are, the red color of them catching my eye, from a wonderful day of working in our garden in the house. We are doing a Ecological Seminar this weekend with Gur, our visiting agricultural specialist and founder of Adamama in Israel. I like feeling the warmth in my shoulders. We went over what we have in the garden thus far, like lettuce and beets and mint and more, and started planting new seeds of oregano, beans, tomatoes, cilantro in rows throughout the terraces. I planted some oregano and then went around with tape to mark pieces of bamboo that I hammered into the ground with rocks to show what everything is. We created a sort of spider web handing from one end of the courtyard up to the first floor of the house which we are going to hang the passionfruit vines on so they can grow along it.

 We also discussed the importance of compost in all its beautiful forms. We have begun using the compost toilet that was made in the house--- a bucket that is then brought out and transferred to a bin with worms, but today we said that it would be even more convenient in there was a toilet outside, to eliminate the extra process of carrying. I can say that I was more enthusiastic about the idea than most, although some valid points like needing to stay on good terms with the neighbors were raised. However, a structure was built to be the outhouse and holes were dug, and hopefully soon we will have an outdoor toilet to enjoy the stars in.

 I have been incredibly into the beauty of connecting more with the earth around us, as I have desired for a long time and have not had any outlet for. Although this past week at the village we were not involved in the garden that they are building up as a model for the village to see, we did go over all the different plants and I have begun to be able to identify what things I had until recently only seen in the Supermarket look like when they are in the ground. It feels so liberating to walk through the grass rather than through the aisle and see leaves in front of me but envision the fruit or vegetable that it becomes.

 One thing that is most exciting is that I can now spot Pani Omala, “forest water”, which I was given when we climbed up the mountain after the elections and I didn’t feel well. It is a small nitrogen giving plant, who roots have little balls of bursts of tasty water in them. I have also managed to explain to the family we are with in the village (will explain more about that) that I want to learn about their garden and they let me go with one of he younger daughters to pick out my own bit of cilantro to have with dinner.

 It is amazing to see how self sufficient the families are. This family has their own garden that they get most if not all of their food from, cows that give them milk and also manure for compost, they build fires to cook and don’t rely on gas, there is a tap from the river for washing, and the father is a carpenter and can make whatever you ask of him (including a basic chimney without a fan that doesn’t work, but we are working on it together).

 My mind has been tripping on the combination of long thinking non-materialism (of any sort) is the right direction and experiencing a dire sense of importance in the concept of owning something to be proud of and feel connected to. I am working out how the two go together, but all experiences have been coming back to the idea of creating something of my own. It is partially about creativity, and wanting even something as small as a connection with drawing or playing an instrument or knitting to the greater thoughts of being about the closeness with the earth and understanding our part in it better.

 I am sure these thoughts are intertwined with the discussion on how to help street children and really all people connect better to the space around them. The thought is that if one has a space, painting, any sort of project to connect to we will begin to feel a greater sense of purpose and thus desire more of a future for ourselves. All this talk has made me want to… create.  

About danielle_bergman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.