Existing Member?

A well deserved break! "La vida es como la espuma hay que hecharse al mar", because "we are here for a short time but for a good time"!!!!

Stay another day in Laos

LAOS | Saturday, 26 January 2008 | Views [2145] | Comments [6]

As you must have guessed for youreselves I have acquired a new concept of time since I have set foot in Laos...Hence the large gap since my last post! Please forgive me but bear in mind that I am really enjoying this new concept. In fact I almost even forgot my birthday!!! I realized it was the 20th of January at 6 o clock in  the evening...We just made up a last minute celebration :) Thks for your messages, it is always so nice to hear  from home.

So for those of you that have been inquiring about my current situation on planet earth, please rest assured: I AM OLDER BUT HEALTHY, HAPPY AND HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE!!!

In fact I think that I have slowly let myself fall in love with this country and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was given a 2 month visa for Laos instead of the standard one. While in Luang Prabang I picked up a brochure entitled "Stay another day in Laos".It develops the idea that as a tourist you can contribute to the community by using your time and spending your money wisely (for those interested the web page is www.stay-another-day.org). Following that idea and the fact that I am having the best time here I decided to stay another few days/weeks in Laos and explore the realms of sustainable tourism.

I am now writing to you from Vang Vieng where I have spent the last week working on an organic farm (www.laofarm.org) at which I am staying. The surroundings are stunning, with caves and mountains all around. It is also known as a back packers paradise where you can sit in a cafe and watch friends all day...eeeer go tubing down the river and jump of really high swings into the water while Bob Marley is blearing out of loud speakers. Trashy you may ask! Yes totally but still you have to do it at least once for the fun!!!

I did that once but have spent the rest of the time on the farm helping build a house, cruising through lovely landscape and bathing in amazing lagoons. So I am also up to my knees with cement! I have met a lovely crowd of people, and have been sucked even further into the deapths of Asia.

The trip from Luang prabang to Vang Vieng was stunning. Unfortunately all my pictures were erased by a virus so I have just memories and nothing to show you... I have so much to tell but halas not too much time to write so I shall try my best to update you on the missing parts as soon as I can! I have the funniest anecdotes involving monkeys defleeing cats, dancing at a wedding party and well eeeer many more but that is for NEXT TIME!

Tags: Relaxation

Comments

1

Nice to have some news from my agent SDV in Laos! It made my day to hear you on the phone!!! Continue having the time of your life i like to see that glorious smile!!! Bisous ma belle et prends soin de toi!

  Laura Feb 1, 2008 5:41 AM

2

Hmm, forgetting your birthday- good one! I have been doing that for years... it is "others" that remind me!!!
Interesting saga of the rescue of photos.... and a smile in each one says it all. About that cement, are there any guys to, hmm, help or are they supervising?!!

Just spoke to Mum and the smile in her voice tells she is just loving each journal entry.

enjoy
mxx

  Auntieeee Feb 2, 2008 12:02 AM

3

Hi Danielle,

Sound like your still enjoying Vang Vieng. I didn't really like the place. I can't stand Friends, but the tubing and the caves and lagoons were good.

I'm now writing from Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Just arrived here yesterday. After Vang Vieng I went to Vientiane (boring city), Savannaketh (1 night at the bus station, didn't see anything), Champasak/Wat Phou (a hell to get there from Savannaketh in one day, not much to do in town the the temple in good) and finally to the 4000 islands. These are really good. I stayed at Don Deth, a small island with only sand tracks, palm trees and bamboo bungalows with hammocks. So noting to do there but walk a bit and relax. If you have the chance, I really recommend you go there. If not, I'm sure you find a lot of other nice places.

Daniël

  Daniel Feb 2, 2008 1:20 AM

4

ufff! vaya cultura! Brutal, como dicen por aquí!
Seguro que estás haciendo bien tus "deberes" interiores!!! Me alegro por ti wappa. Disfruta a tope.

Petits moments de sagesse:
"Le véritable voyage de découverte ne consiste pas à chercher de nouveaux paysages mais à voir avec de nouveaux yeux"
Marcel Proust.
"La richesse ne se mesure pas aux choses que l'on possède sinon à celles dont on peut se passer"
Amin Maalouf.

Emilie

  emilie Feb 3, 2008 7:11 AM

5

Up to the knees with cement?! Where was I? Stuck into cement to the eyes?
No serious, you were a great helper, entertainer, sunshine and friend on the SUPER-wall-building-site. And you can soon prove that you were really working, when the next post on www.earthbricker.wordpress.com is finished. Hope to see you in September on the Mudhouse-building-site-Reunion-Oktoberfestparty in Munich!

  Peter Feb 5, 2008 12:57 AM

6

Dani, que bueno todo lo que cuentas! Sana envidia, y ganas de viajar para vivir todo eso... Un beso, y a seguir con intensidad toda esta aventura! Ya tengo ganas de verte y tomarnos un vinito en el piso, mientras nos cuentas mil historias fantasticas.
Rosa

  Rosa Feb 5, 2008 3:47 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.