Existing Member?

Daniella's travels

Viva la mojito!

CUBA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [330] | Scholarship Entry

Richness is not a word that is often used to describe Cuba.

Nonetheless, the unrivalled vibrancy of this country is underpinned by its rich colours and its even richer history. The welcoming beaches and ancient buildings have stood the test of time. Along with the multicolour American 1950s cars and horse-driven tour carts that fill the streets, these offer a unique snapshot into the past.

Many changes are expected now that relations have improved between the US and Cuba. The number of US residents visiting Cuba is expected to surge.

If I could go back to Cuba again, there is just one place that I would be sure to visit again; somewhere that allows you to fully immerge yourself in Cuba’s rich culture.

To reach this special place, you have to walk along the dusty roads of Havana to a street called Empedrado. As you get closer the murmur of voices being carried through the air can be heard, as well as the faint sound of trumpets.

A crescendo.

The bright yellow sign further along has bold, black words that spell out ‘La bodeguita del medio’. This is the birthplace of the mojito.

Mint, white rum, sugar, soda and lime juice. Five simple ingredients for the perfect concoction that can make you feel no less than merry. It is the essence of this country; the mojito is Cuba.

As you step inside, the atmosphere juxtaposes the quiet roads that you took to get there. This life of party is here!

Loud voices screaming Spanish phrases can just about be heard over the rhythmic music. The lights are beaming and not one mosquito can be seen.

Many greats including Ernest Hemingway have graced this place. The interminable words and names that are scribbled across the walls and the countertop of the bar tell of its rich history. With the focus of an eye of an eagle, I searched for a space to make my own mark.

The menu at the bar is filled with numerous drinks. Some are recognisable such as Jack Daniels or Cervesa, but why order something that you could easily have at home? I ordered a Mojito Clasico and waited in anticipation.

Rows of cigars lined a machine near the bar top and crowd of people were dancing the salsa nearby. The waiter was doing his own dance, mixing my drink.

Served in a long tall glass, the deep green mint leaves poked out from the lemon mixture. It tasted sweet and fresh. Viva la Cuba!

I can the taste the infamous Cuban rum. This place will ensure that the rich history of Cuba will remain untarnished and strong, much like its rum.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About daniellaj


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cuba

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.