Existing Member?

Finding the big picture.

An

INDIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [146] | Scholarship Entry

This was the second time we were off to Goa, though the purpose of this trip was different from the last. We were excited about it since it was my birthday the day after, and I never had a proper celebration (I believe I haven't had the happiest childhood either). We packed up and boarded the train in the evening. We reached Goa by morning and were awed by the sun rays flooding the ragged meadows at dawn. At the station, soon afterwards, we scurried to find transport to take us to the hotel. We avoided taking taxis since they weren't willing to charge fair rates and they weren't too keen to take us either, since it was the tourist season and Europeans tend to pay more. We had to board multiple buses and walk a few miles to get to the place where the hotel was. The road to the hotel was lined up with many small shops and hotels, some of which played soft trance. We got to our room and booked two mopeds to go around. We hiked to some prominent spots there, like the Chapora fort. We also climbed a hill adjoining an estuary at the Vagathore seaside, and trekked down steep slippery rocks right to the far side of the beach. It was one of the most exhilarating events of my life. But by evening it was time to participate in what we had originally come for. We met a few folk in Goa, who would give this thing called Lucy. We took it right at my birthday. But much to our shock, it wasn't legit. We managed through the morning, and tried to recover our loss the next day, which incidentally also failed. But by evening the same day, we found out that a friend was staying in Goa at the time who could manage it from one of the popular clubs there. We were delighted and we got it an hour or so later. We packed out bags went to Curlies Bar to crash out for the night, since we were leaving the next day and we were almost out of cash. But I had a few more letdowns at the bar and we ended up sitting at the beach in a dark spot between two fishing boats. We took Lucy and everything became just fine, if not amazing. An hour or so afterwards, another bar shack nearby started playing a birthday track. I was contemplating many things about myself and my silly wants when this happened. Though this could have been a complete coincidence, I couldn't stop myself from making a probable connection and was convinced that this track playing at this time, when Lucy had kicked us well, was for me and was an answer. Or so I hope. But I will never forget the day that music played, just for me.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About dancingzombie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.