Existing Member?

How to spend your redundancy settlement

Fiji

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 25 January 2011 | Views [450] | Comments [1]

4th December – Headed out to the Islands from Nadi. My first stop is Bounty Island which is only about 30 mins off of the shore so was quickly there. Bounty Island is quite small but has lovely white sand and a nice swimming pool rite on the beach. I had a swim in the sea and ended up seeing a baby shark in the shallows. I then went and relaxed in a hammock before having a dip in the pool. In the evening I sat down fir the included dinner when surprisingly Frasier and Chloe arrived and joined me. In the evening we had a few beers with a German couple that we had dinner with before going to bed.

 

5th December – I got up along with Frasier and Chloe and headed off of the island to the far north. We went to Coral View resort and it took us 5 hours on a rather choppy boat so we were feeling rather sea sick by the time we got there. For the rest of the day I chilled on the sun beds reading and taking the occasional dip in the sea. During the day I met Marcus, Laura and Tash so we ended up having some dinner together and a few beers whilst playing pool for the rest of the night.

 

6th December – Hung out on the grass area all day chatting with Chloe, Fraser, Marcus, Tash, Laura and Pate (who is in the bunk below me). In the evening after dinner we played a few games organised by the staff before having a few drinks ad chatting

 

7th December – Today our group is leaving Coral view and heading down to White Sandy Beach. On the boat transfer Frasier passed out in the toilet as he had been feeling quite ill so they decided to go on to main land and take him to a doctor. At first glance we didn’t really like WSB as its very basic and in poor ish condition. We however grew to love the place as we ad a good group and the staff were pretty cool. After a simple dinner the staff put o a show and then we played some games. The games were a great laugh and we ad a awesome time. Once the games were over we sat around a beach fire and had a chat.

 

8th December – Woke up to another beautiful day in Fiji. Went for a swim wit Pete and Marcus and found some blue starfish. These starfish were like proper navy blue it was so cool. In the afternoon we decided to have a bit of a barber session. Laura used t be a Toni and Guy hairdresser and I had brought my clippers with me so we got them out. Marcus decided that he wanted a mow-hawk so we did one and it looked awesome. The staff were laughing and calling him Mr T and one actually asked us to do one for him which really did look like Mr T. We then asked one of the staff to climb a tree for us and he got a load of Coco nuts down for us. In the afternoon 3 girls form Kent, Katie, Hayleigh and Jo arrived which is very good news as they are all hot. We then played a few games of Volleyball with the staff before having a sea cucumber fight with some of the younger staff. After dinner we played more games and I was paired up with Hayleigh and we almost won 2 of the 4 games and I did actually win the limbo.

 

9th December – Moved from WSB to Waya Lai Lai. After arriving we relaxed in the hammocks until dinner. Fr dinner we had the best food that we have had so far on the islands which was a very good chicken curry. In the evening we played games (not up to WSB standards) and everyone won a free glass of wine. Before we went off to bed we organised one of the members of staff to make us Kava. This is a traditional Fijian drink made from the root of the Kava plant and this is ground up and water is passed through it in a Hessian bag flavouring the water. It doesn’t taste of much apart from muddy water. It does however make your moth go numb and if you drink enough of it, it makes you a little light headed.

 

10th December – Marcus and I have decided to learn the capital cities of each of the country’s in his diary so we did some revision in the morning. We were doing really well but as this is written soo late I think I have forgotten most of them. Did you know that Pyong-Yang is the capital of North Korea?? Didn’t think so. After lunch we went down to the beach and played volleyball before going out on the most unproductive fishing trip in the history of fishing. The girls from Kent had arrived on our island so we had dinner with them and watched a traditional show of singing and dancing performed by the local village.

 

11th December – we are all moving on today and I am going off on my own to Manta-ray island. Unfortunately it was absolutely hooning it down so I got completely soaked transferring on to the transfer boat. After checking in to Manta-ray I had some lunch and watched Toy Story 3. During the day I met a few people including an Austrian guy called Manfred. For dinner we had 3 courses. There was no entertainment so Manfred and I played cards with two Swiss girls.

 

12th December – Sat on the beach all day reading and listening to my iPod. In the afternoon I met an English couple called Sarah and Dave. We played a few games of cards before heading up to have some dinner. Dinner was a really good Buffet and by the end of it I was properly stuffed. After dinner we went down to the beach bar and played cards till the wee hours.

 

13th December – Again went and sat on the beach and ad another wicked day. In the morning I taught Dave and Italian card game called Briscola as he is half Italian. After lunch Dave and Sarah left and I met a guy called V who was from New Zealand. After a bit of a chat we went for dinner. After dinner we went to the beach bar again an played cards with an American couple called Omar and Jennifer and a Belgian called Dorine.

 

14th December – Another lovely day on Manta-ray and to be honest the days are starting to blur into one. Manfred left today and 3 new girls arrived called Frankie, Laura and Jordan. It was a really cool evening as everyone on the island knew each other so we all sat around chatting and playing cards all night.

 

15th December – Today I am transferring off of the islands on to mainland. I was joined on the beach by Dorine, Jennifer and Andrea, an Austrian girl. After lunch I took some photo’s on the beach with a Santa hat on. Lol.

We then got our transfer to the Yassawa Flyer and headed towards main land. When we were about half way we were stopping to let some people off when we were joined by a school of dolphins. It was amazing as they were right next to the boat and were jumping in the air and everything. After a while we had to continue towards mainland. Dave and Sarah were also transferring on to main land so I met them on the boat and ended up checking into the same hostel as they did. I had some dinner with Dave and Sarah and we were joined by a German guy who turned out to be a proper twat but ah well. After dinner there was a fire show and we played a few games of the now obligatory cards.

 

16th December – I have a full day in Nadi so decided to go into town. I really wanted to see a Buddhist Temple that is in town so went there first. The temple turned out to be amazing as it is so brightly coloured and so pretty. The only down point was that the German Twat insisted on joining me. Shit. After taking a million photos I walked back to the hostel. I had rather underestimated how long it would take to walk back but never mind. It’s not like I had anything else to do. After getting back the ashes started on the TV and England did a fantastic job of dismissing Australia for a first innings total just over 200. After dinner I joined Frankie, Jordan and Laura as they had come to my hostel for dinner.

 

I fly to Oz tomorrow so my story will continue in the Australia Chapter.

 

Please find my Fiji photo’s here:

 

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=137739&id=286602040&l=179ff4dc71

Comments

1

Whats the capital of ............... lithuania ?

  Motheridge Jan 26, 2011 8:05 AM

About dan_powell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.