Existing Member?

And they're off..... Who's up for a little trip....

The vatican and more of Rome

ITALY | Wednesday, 19 August 2009 | Views [333]

This morning was an early start to head into yet another country – The Vatican City – The worlds smallest country with a population of 900 and covering a mere 0.44 m squared! The line was unbelievably huge – you have no idea, it was incredible so we did the smart thing and joined an organised tour in order to jump the queue with a guide called Brandy... Now she was great – a little wild but really funny and full of interesting facts.. We were so glad that we did a tour as we learned about key pieces of art and history instead of naively walking around and not really knowing what it was all about.. This included of course St Peters Basilica –

This is the largest catholic church in the world and can hold an impressive 60000 people! We ventured downstairs and visited the tombs of past Popes.. We were guided through the Vatican museums and this was huge!!!!!

It is estimated that if you saw each work of art for a mere 1 minute you would spend the next 12 years of your life without stopping for a brake in Vatican City! The tour highlight for me was of course the Sistine chapel! It took Michaelangelo 4 years to paint one wall and the ceiling and it was truly awe inspiring,, My favorite was the creation of Adam (the fingers touching between God and Adam) The guards inside mastered the “Schushhhing technique” however people still talked continuously... You are also not allowed to take photos inside this amazing chapel but Sneaky Dan managed just one for our memories...

It was an amazing day but the funniest part was seeing the dress of the Swiss Guard – Hilarious...

We only had another few hours left in Rome but still managed to visit the Mouth of Truth

as well as the keyhole of the knights of Malta. This was crazy as it was literally a big green door with a small keyhole which when you looked through it gave the most amazing photos of the basilica through a line of trees...

After a busy day we went back to camp in preparation for our day trip to Capri as a stop over on the way to Sorrento!


Anna in Vatican City

Anna in Vatican City

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.