Existing Member?

And they're off..... Who's up for a little trip....

Florentine experience

ITALY | Sunday, 16 August 2009 | Views [436]

We're in Florence! We arrived fairly early in the afternoon to our new campsite where things were a little different to say the least... I think this place was a little more like a Nazi run camping ground as the rules that followed were incredible, for example – The camp ground had a pool however there was a catch... You had to wear a swimming cap before you were allowed to enter the pool!!! Yes you heard me correctly, we had to purchase a very attractive swimming cap to get into this crappy pool... But as it was about 36 degrees no matter how dorky we looked we were in... There was a pool guard at the entrance who yelled at you even before you stepped into the pool area.... We were forced to leave all shoes at the entrance and shower in the coldest water possible before you could even get a toe wet! We brought the football down however had it confiscated as apparently fun was also forbidden in this pool – no diving or running and you could only enter and exit the pool from the steps,,, it was ridiculous! No photos though i'm sorry to say :)

It was one of our tour members birthdays today so after dinner everyone was dropped off into the beautiful Florentine city to head to a local pub... I was not in the mood for drinking with the young contikis so a couple of the other girls and I went into the main piazza – Piazza Della Signoria to see what Florence had to offer... We were amazed at the beauty of the city and also had our first glimpse of the famous David!

This was only surpassed by the tiramisu ice cream we treated ourselves to while we sat and listened to an Italian street performer who sang the most beautiful Italian opera songs.. It was a great girls night out really! We got back to the club to find everyone a little more happy than we left (including my amazing man) and called it a night!

Today we started off with a Florentine leather making demonstration where an Italian woman tried to sell us numerous types of leather goods – We were not willing to part with hundreds of Euros so once the demo was over Dan and I left the shop quicker than you could image. We spent the day walking through the city, enjoyed a guided tour of the history and art in Florence with the most uninspiring mono-toned tour leader in existence ( And I thought Italians were supposed to be passionate!) Just trying to listen or even breathe was difficult... I withered in and out of attention just enough to truly understand why Michaelangelo's David was just so famous as well as see the beautiful Duomo – or Basilica Di Santa Maria Del Fiore.

In the evening we were treated to a traditional Tuscan dinner of bruschetta, pastas, pizza, wine, lemonchello and tiramisu... So much eating!!! We then followed the group to a local night club to do as the romans do and go out in style to a place called space disco tech! This place was packed with so many Italians, not many older than probably 16...

When I danced with the girls there seemed to be more than 10 circling the group at any one time just waiting for someone to stray to allow them a chance! It was definitely an experience! I also learned about how destructive the Italian free pour can be... It was going to be a difficult morning tomorrow however we only have a short 5 hour journey to Rome!


Us in Florence

Us in Florence

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.