Existing Member?

Over down under South Coast Beaches and Climbing in Victoria, Australia

Down the Coast

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 11 February 2007 | Views [1529]

Sunset over Bega

Sunset over Bega

Seven Mile Beach
I left Sydney in a thunderstorm that turned the entire sky bright orange. Which should have served a warning to the weather ahead. Made it to Seven Mile Beach late and setup camp. This beautiful stretch of beach would fit most of Sydney and still not be crowded.

Gerringong
I had a late breakfast at the Vegetarian Café and despite the weather sat on the upstairs deck. Looking out over the green hills, I was at peace with my musli.

Jervis Bay
My visit to Jervis Bay was regrettably short. The weather was still blah.

Batemans Bay

The weather started to clear a bit.
Batemans Bay has more fish and chips than you can shake a stick at and most places offer you a variety of fish when you order. This place is heaven for fish and chips or fishING (if you like to catch them).

Broulee

The next morning I decided to get another fish and chippy and go for a swim at Broulee. This is definitely one of my favourite beaches along the South Coast. When I arrived the surf was pretty small, so I opted not to rent a board. By late afternoon the surf picked up and out came the surfers in force. Swimming out there among the local surfers with my snorkel mask and digital camera, I felt like a fish out of water… but in the water… hmm… aahh haiku.

I felt like a fish
out of water, but in water
waves are real good time.

Here’s a Bashō classic:
初しぐれ猿も小蓑をほしげ也
Hatsu shigure saru mo komino wo hoshige nari
the first cold shower;
even the monkey seems to want
a little coat of straw.

ahhh haiku...

Bega

Stopped at the Bega Valley Lookout and had dinner while watching the sunset.

Marimbula
I had heard the name several times before and was curious to discover what it was all about. I read in the Lonely Planer guide that there are some great wreck dives here and being recently certified I was eager to dive on a wreck. I signed up with Diver’s Den who were more that helpful in setting me up for a double dive on one of the wrecks. Unfortunatly once again the weather turned on me and diving was cancelled.

Ok I'm headed West.. South West..

Tags: ambassador van, on the road

 

About dan-isaacson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.