Existing Member?

Finding Yeti

LAX - KTM

NEPAL | Saturday, 20 March 2010 | Views [503] | Comments [2]

LAX

 

Got to LAX and going through security when all of a sudden a security guard yells “BRAVO! BRAVO!” and then the next yells it passing it along. Everything stops, it’s at a freeze. I look around, all us travelers look a bit worried and the airport staff looks curious. Within a split moment several scenarios run through my head, is it a gun? A terrorist?  But alas I land on one. It’s a bomb! It plays out like this; I hit the floor a mere split second before the bomb goes off, just like the last episode of 24 but, I don’t know if I’ll survive. As this runs through my head I look over to the security guard standing next to me and say, “is everything ok?” he looks over at me and says “I  think it’s just a drill. Well, I hope.” I look over to the area where the warning started. A few guards shuffle around and then run off down the hall and a few others look unimpressed. I look over again to the guard and joke, “do we need to hit the floor? Cause you know I will hit the floor!” I give him a wink and he laughs. Another minute goes by and I hear a few travelers getting nervous too. I’m thinking, this could be it, and I haven’t even left America. All of a sudden a yell breaks out and then everything resumes back to normal, as if nothing ever happened. Now I know my adventure has officially started. Yeah that’s right, first brush with death averted, but now what?! One can only imagine….

 

Now I find myself sitting at my gate, I have 2 hours to kill. A lady next to me sneezes, I say bless you and an instant friendship blossoms. Her name is O-Young, she’s Chinese but now lives in LA. She’s on her way to Hong Kong to visit family. We get chatting and talk about everything. She says she’s been married going on 35 years so I jump at the opportunity to ask my favorite question: “What makes your marriage work?” Her response is “communication, space, and respect, but the key is to always be honest and when something bothers you say it. Although, never criticize or argue with your significant other in front of anyone, keep that private.” Good advice I say. We’re laughing and bonding, she say’s she can see I have a good heart, I say I can see she has a good heart. Her eyes are warm and I know this is a moment, a meeting of two strangers that should be cherished.

 

     Across from us sit an older couple. The husband speaks up and I find out they’re heading to Bali. They work for a non-profit over there. The wife looks uncanningly familiar though but I can’t place it. I tell her that and she shrugs. Another man sits down across from me and joins in on our now bustling corner. His name is Khem, he lives in Orange County but is from Nepal. I learn that we will be sharing the 10 hour layover in Hong Kong and that makes me happy. Before we all board O-Young says "when we get to Hong Kong I want to treat you to breakfast" I gratefully accept. We plan on meeting up after we land. She stands up to get on board and that was the last time I saw her. I miss my friend.

   The flight was a mere 17 hours ;) I watched 3 movies and one documentary and then slept in a peculiar fold. Once we arrived in Hong Kong I was one of the last off the plane due to a much needed bathroom break. I got off searching for my friend O-Young but never found her, perhaps she was searching for me too but we missed paths and I never ran into her again. For the rest of my trip I thought about her and how I missed her.

   When I got off though, I ran into Khem and the both of us would roam the airport together for the 10 hours before we boarded our next flight. In those 10 hours we chatted about everything, life, love, family (he was heading to Kathmandu to see his Mum who had become very ill and was in the hospital), and then just joked around like we were old friends. We jumped online at the free internet stall facebooked away, munched on some wasabi crisps that my friend Theresa gave me for the trip, and then hit a sports bar and got my butt whipped in pool. We then changed his seat so as to sit next to me on our 7 hour flight to KTM.

   Once we arrived he had set up 2 rooms for us at a hotel and transport there. We got there and headed to bed. I gave him a hug and told him I'd pray for his mum. That was the last time I saw Khem. The next morning I slipped a note under his door, for the had already left to go to the hospital, and when I got back from exploring I found a note posted on my door his mother had passed away and he had left to go home town Pokhara. I miss Khem! I wish him all the best and hope to run into him again.

 

Comments

1

Glad you're spreading your Yannaness to the farthest corners of the earth. It's good for people to know that there are lights out there like you to brighten their path through life...

  Jen Mar 22, 2010 3:04 AM

2

Thanks for the updates Daliana. I love reading about your adventures :>)

  Lesley Mar 23, 2010 4:39 AM

About daliana


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.