Existing Member?

Capturing Moments

Catching a Moment - A Moment Not Lost

THAILAND | Friday, 15 March 2013 | Views [177] | Scholarship Entry

Our life is a series of moments. With each passing day, we lose more and more of them; they slip away, empty, dull, exiled from our memory. Every now and again, a moment sticks. Something indefinable implores your mind to take a step back and say “Hey, let’s keep this one.”

For me, one of those moments arose perched on the shores of Koh Phangan. I had arrived at the island just west of the Thai mainland that morning, after a long, sticky journey from Bangkok. I had spent much of the day lolling on the quiet, white sands, before gorging on a sizzling platter of fresh sea-food. Having decided that a recovery nap was required, I retreated to my hostel and began to doze on what I suspected may be a bedbug infested mattress. Hours were lost to my soporific sluber, until, from behind a drowsy curtain of sleep, a club beat began to pervade my ears. I wandered out of my room and marveled at what was before me.

The tropical paradise of the day had been transformed into a exotic cocktail of parties, blaring mega-pop tunes and blazing ropes of fire. What were once unassuming cafes suddenly thronged with intoxicated travelers drinking in the Thai night-life. Locals manned stalls, shamelessly competing for custom:
“Mai Tai! Mai Tai! 200 baht!”
It was shambolic, overwhelming; lights and sounds screamed into my ears, drenching me in a blissful euphoria.

At some point, I wandered away from the crowds to breathe, to get a sense of place, to remember myself. I found a spot just removed from the hoards and sat with the warm ocean lapping at my toes. The Thai air hung hot and heavy around me, but the night’s darkness soothed my sun-soaked skin. A breeze whipped off the gentle ripples of the water, tickling my salted mane of hair. All around me lights were dancing, hypnotic and pulsing, reflecting off the still sea. I could hear the cries of a bronzed youth skipping from bar to bar, consumed by music, laughter and friendship.

It occurred to me that this may truly be happiness. I was surrounded by people hailing from all over the globe, united by the captivating lights and sounds of Koh Phangan. I felt grounded and alive, and despite being 6000 miles from home, I had a never experienced a truer sense of self. A resounding serenity flooded through my body. Everybody here was happy. I realized, that in a life of lost moments, these are the times we must savour.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About daisybelle


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.